Table for One

Photo courtesy of Jim Pennucci, Flickr

Photo courtesy of Jim Pennucci, Flickr

Last year, I was driving up to USC with my dad and a car loaded full of my belongings. I was moving into my dorm in preparation to begin my life as a college student. To be frank, I was more scared than I was excited. I was afraid I wouldn’t get along with my suitemates and that I would have a difficult time adjusting to my new life. One of my biggest fears was the idea of eating alone at the dining hall. It sounds silly, but the thought of having no one to share a meal with seemed like the epitome of loneliness.

We live in a society where F.O.M.O, or Fear of Missing Out, is all too real. It’s imperative that we stay connected to our surroundings, because as soon as we fall out of the loop we are left in the dust. We’re glued to our phones. Eating alone is taboo. It’s come to the point where the idea of being alone has almost become reason to pity someone. “Alone” is something we want to avoid at all costs.

It’s so easy to get caught up in the idea that we have to be constantly making social connections in order to be okay. Yes, it’s important to have friends and loved ones. We are meant to build relationships with people. But it’s just as important to be aware of who you are and what you need. Sometimes, it takes being alone to realize what those needs are.

Ironically, being alone in the long term gave me more confidence. I learned a lot about myself that first year of college because not only was I away from home, but also I had to face the fact that there will be moments when I was going to be my own company. Being alone taught me that I, someone who struggled with the idea of self worth and value, didn’t need someone else to be complete. It taught me what I want and don’t want out of a relationship, whether it be with a friend or a lover. It allowed me the time to figure myself out.

Being alone isn’t easy. It can be scary. But the next time you sit alone at dinner, don’t sweat it. These acts are a self investment that will be invaluable to your happiness and well being.

You owe it to yourself.