Baseball beats LMU, falls in exhibition

The Trojans split a pair of midweek games on Tuesday and Wednesday, defeating Loyola Marymount 4-3 but being shut out 5-0 in an exhibition game by NC Dinos.

On Wednesday, the incredibly loud and energetic Dinos fans danced, sang and chanted words of encouragement in their native Korean to the Dinos,  who outhit the Trojans 6-4. The Dinos were led by two home runs from former MLB player Eric Thames.

The loss came a day after the Trojans defeated LMU for their first road victory of the season, where freshman Pitcher CJ Stubbs recorded his first collegiate win Tuesday as USC baseball escaped a 2-run ninth inning scare.

Stubb shined in his six-inning USC debut, allowing one run on four hits and a strikeout. Head coach Dan Hubbs credited Stubbs’ ability to move to the ball in and out of the strike zone, which enabled him to get weak contact so that his defense can make a play.

“For a freshman to come out in his outing and do that was big because winning is hard to do and there is so much parity in the game that you have to play extremely well,” Hubbs said, “That was big and great to see.”

Sophomore infielder Frankie Rios’ turned a game-ending double play that sealed the game for the Trojans, who had been leading the contest 4-1 until the bottom of the ninth when senior reliever Marc Huberman allowed two runs on two hits with two walks. He was replaced by junior Jeff Pachke, who allowed one hit, loaded the bases and escaped by forcing LMU sophomore Jamey Smart to hit into a double play.

Sophomore Adalberto Carrillo gave the Trojans the initial lead in the third inning with his first hit of the season, a solo home run, but LMU infielder Ted Boeke tied the game with a solo home run of his own in the fourth inning. Later in that inning, USC retook the lead when sophomore Angelo Armenta utilized a sacrifice fly to make it 2-1.

“We have got to get a big hit on that situation where we can put up a crooked number and really start to separate a game,” Hubbs said, “Because we have played four one-run games in four games now, but I think we will be better for it in the long run.”

Senior Timmy Robinson, whose first hit of the season was a walk-off single against North Dakota in USC’s last game, continued to make an impact despite battling elbow tightness with a two-run homer in the sixth inning to give the Trojans a 4-1 cushion heading into the bottom of the ninth.

Next up, the Trojans return to their regular season schedule, facing Wake Forest at home on Friday night to kick off a three-game set.