The ideal playlist for any kind of weekend

The empty park is lit only by a far-off streetlight, as denim-clad pairs of legs stumble down the road. It’s cold, but the bottle of wine you downed earlier means your hair hasn’t pricked up in a few hours. A random decision has left you and your friends flailing on the grass as you attempt to teach them how to do a cartwheel.

How much cologne is too much cologne? Does my left eyeliner match my right? Questions run through your mind as you get ready for the night you’ve been planning since Tuesday’s afternoon class, when a Facebook event popped up on your home screen. It’ll be a party filled with the same people you party with every Friday night, but that’s not going to stop you from looking your damn best as you traipse through the packed crowd to find alcohol and a spot to dance.

You’re walking down a street in West Hollywood trying to explore outside of Trojan Land. You’ve never been to this club before and your heart thuds as your fake ID burns in your pocket. Are they going to accept it? Are you going to be the only one turned away, forced to take an Uber home by yourself while everyone else attends a nostalgia-themed night out?

The credits of the last episode of the show you’ve been watching for days rolls over the screen. Under the fluffy blanket you got for Christmas, the duvet from Urban Outfitters and the sheets you haven’t washed in ages is your pair of sweatpants. You’re browsing the recommendations as you take a quick breather before starting your next series.

No matter what your plans are — planned or not — the right style of music can make you feel like the star of a music video or a member of a Skins-like ensemble. I, personally, am of the philosophy that your night’s soundtrack should not be determined by your plans, but by your desired vibe. And thus, that’s how we shall do this:

A sensory experience to commemorate the “live fast, die young” mantra:

Electro-indie pop with soft vocals will light up your night. Think back to middle school and high school’s MGMT obsession. “The more synth, the better” should be the motto if you’re looking for a night full of colors and windblown hair. Another route is that full-on indie feel where acoustic sounds suddenly feel overwhelming as symphony like instruments are controlled by bearded hipsters.

Sample Playlist:

“No Cars Go”

– Arcade Fire

“Chicago”

– Sufjan Stevens

“Teenage Crime”

– Adrian Lux

“Who Knows Who Cares”

– Local Natives

“Midnight City”

– M83

A night for unisex boss-ass bitches:

It’s time to take the night to a place where you’re so out of it, you think you can pull a Bruce Almighty and rope the moon closer to you. I don’t mean harsh beats and trap rap. We’re talking upbeat, bounce on the balls of your feet, think you’re immortal music. You want the world to know you’re a walking oxymoron. You’re going to be as reckless as a kid, but with the privileges of being an adult.

Sample Playlist:

“YOUNGBLOOD”

– 3OH!3

“Let It Roll”

– Flo Rida

“Half Naked & Almost Famous”

– Machine Gun Kelly

“Mind Your Manners (feat. Icona Pop)”

– Chiddy Bang

“Up Up & Away”

– Kid Cudi

That Good Ol’ Nostalgic Feelin’:

It’s plain and simple. You want to sit back, so to speak, and reminisce. It’s time to let your mind go hazy, as the feelings of a thousand good memories rush forward and your Saturday night becomes the composite of every Saturday night worth remembering. These songs are going to be more personalized. They’re not one genre, they’re a feeling. These are the songs led by the singer’s emotion.

Sample Playlist:

“DNA”

– Empire of the Sun

“Secrets on Our Lips”

– Astronautalis

“On Our Way”

– The Royal Concept

“Big Jet Plane”

– Angus and Julia Stone

“Steal Your Heart”

– Augustana

Malorie McCall is a junior majoring in philosophy.  Her column, “Mal’s Mix,” runs on Fridays.