Trojans set for important road trip at Stanford, Cal

After an 80-69 loss at the hands of the Utah Utes snapped the Trojans’ 15-game home winning streak on Sunday, USC is back on the road this weekend to face two Pac-12 teams from the Bay Area in Stanford and Cal.

Thursday night’s game could be challenging for the Trojans, considering their most recent loss came at the Galen Center, a place in which the Men of Troy usually dominate. In every single road trip this season, USC has played following back-to-back Trojan victories. This time, however, Southern California will not have the luxury of post-win momentum on their side.

USC head coach Andy Enfield illustrated the importance of moving on from tough losses and the reality of playing in the Pac-12 conference after the loss to Utah.

“[Our players] play hard every game. We have our stretches like every other team does, but when I think of our team, we’ve never had to teach effort with this team. They’re 19-8, we’re not going to get down on our players,” Enfield said. “We have two big road games coming up this week … We have a chance to win a few more games and we also know that we can lose all four because the Pac-12 is so good.”

This season, the Trojans hold a 3-5 Pac-12 record on the road, losing by an average margin of 11.6 points, illustrating the fact that playing on the road in the Pac-12 can be a very daunting task.

As it currently stands, Stanford is tied for tenth in the rankings with a 6-8 conference record despite a 13-12 overall record due to tough non-conference games against SMU, Villanova and Texas early in the season.

While Stanford holds an unimpressive record, the Cardinal have in fact downed top teams such as No. 11 Oregon, No. 22 Utah and Cal at home.

In those three wins, the Cardinal’s opponents experienced similar results in terms of a higher shooting percentage to go along with more dominant rebound and steal statistics. Against Cal and Oregon, Stanford combined to shoot 50 percent from the field including 58 percent from 3-point range.

Not to mention, Stanford was able to defeat Utah in overtime, despite shooting 23.5 percent from deep and being out-assisted and out-blocked by the Utes. Where the Cardinal capitalized was on the Utes’ 19 turnovers as compared to eight from the Cardinal.

Stanford currently ranks third in the Pac-12 in terms of points allowed along with ranking fourth in steals and turnover margin. Where they are weaker, however, is on offense where Stanford has averaged just 69.2 points, 41.9 percent field goal percentage and 11.4 assists per game, ranked dead-last in the conference.

Of Stanford’s 69.2 points per game, 22.5 percent can be attributed to their leading scorer Rosco Allen, who averages a team-high 15.6 points and 6.5 rebounds per game through 25 games, including seven games of 20 points or more.

In order to limit Allen’s potential in Palo Alto, the Trojans could rely on multiple double teams and advanced schematics as some top teams already have this season.

Where USC could also potentially conquer the Cardinal could be with improved offensive play in the paint.

To help bolster the Men of Troy’s scoring attack, USC’s forwards will need to be able to out-muscle Stanford’s 6-foot-9 forwards Allen and Michael Humphrey who have combined for 12.7 rebounds and 25.2 points per game. USC could look to big men junior forward Nikola Jovanovic or freshman forward Chimezie Metu for some step-up defense.

Enfield further emphasized the loss of junior forward Darion Clark and how the Trojans have been missing his physical presence in recent games.

“The teams we’re playing right now are very physical and so whenever you play physical teams, Darion’s our best rebounder per minute, one of the best in the country,” Enfield said. “Our players that are playing need to take up the slack until Darion gets back … You’re not going to win when you give up 38 points in the paint.”

Regardless though of averages, rankings or records, the Trojans believe this game is as black and white as others.

“I’ve never been, but teams are a lot better in the tournament,” junior guard Julian Jacobs said in response to USC’s mentality going into its final four games, “We feel like these games are must-win games for us on the road. We have to win these games if we want to make the tournament.”

With just four games left in the season, including Thursday’s battle at Stanford, the Trojans are in must-win territory if they are to receive a first-round bye as a top-four seed, let alone win the Pac-12 conference.

Following this weekend, the Men of Troy will return home to wrap up the season with games against Oregon State and Oregon at Galen Center on March  2 and 5, respectively.