Trojans use 5-run second inning to beat Long Beach State

The No. 22 USC baseball team capitalized off of a 5-run second inning to defeat Long Beach State 7-4 Tuesday night in the teams’ one game meeting at Blair Field to improve to 5-3. 

The USC rally, highlighted by a two-run Adalberto Carrillo home run, scoring A.J. Ramirez, was a response to a quick 3-run first inning by the 49ers.

Freshman pitcher CJ Stubbs was roughed up in his second collegiate outing for the Trojans, pitching only three innings and allowing 4 runs on three hits. After hitting Long Beach State’s Brock Lundquist with a pitch in the first inning, advancing base runners to second and third, first baseman Dillon Paulson committed an error that allowed Duran to score. Then, Long Beach outfielder Tristan Mercadel doubled down the right field line, scoring two more, while advancing to third base.

Long Beach infielder Zack Domingues scored an unearned run off a Jarren Duran ground out to USC shortstop Regggie Southall in the bottom of the second, following a fruitful 5-run top of the inning for the Trojans. The Trojans added runs in the fifth and ninth innings to further extend the lead. In the fifth inning, David Oppenheim reached base on an error by Duran, scoring Carrillo, unearned. In the ninth, Lars Nootbaar scored as a result of a wild pitch from Long Beach Junior Kyle Brown.

The win was given to USC pitcher Mason Perryman, who went three innings, allowing three runs and no runs.

The Trojans, who recently received their first series win of the season against Wake Forest last weekend, will hope to ride their momentum heading into the Dodgers Stadium Classic Friday.