University event policies aim to increase safety

USC’s administration requires all greek organizations on campus to adhere to a comprehensive code of regulations to better control parties and other large events.

The 11-page list of event rules explains in detail the standards that USC plans to hold all of its fraternities and sororities to in a new format with clearer instructions and expectations. The list contains dozens of specific rules regarding monitoring party guests, limiting the number of guests allowed at events and controlling the consumption and serving of alcohol.

Some of the rules involving guests specify that all events with alcohol must have a guest list, which is prepared and submitted to Fraternity and Sorority Leadership Development at least 24 hours before an event. The guest list must then be updated and resubmitted at least 48 hours after the event in order to account for any additional guests.

The new rules also mandate that a bodyguard be hired for every 50 anticipated guests.

Students have always had to register their parties in advance and all chapter leaders were informed of to the expectations in place when it came to alcohol, guests and permissions. The recently published guidelines are intended to complement the training provided to chapter officers.

“The guidelines were developed to meet the health and wellness and safety needs of the community, aligned with industry standards for insurance and safety, national organization risk management standards and peer institutions,” said Jenell Lanski, director of the Office for Fraternity and Sorority Leadership Development.

In the past, security was always present, but there was no minimum requirement of security guards. Also, fraternities often only submitted guest lists with male students for approval. This new policy adds onto the rule that prohibits using open Facebook groups or mass advertising to notify students of upcoming greek events. Instead, greek houses must take an invite-only approach to all future events.

Though the newly published guidebook may seem stringent, according to Interfraternity Council Executive Vice President of Administrative Affairs Peter Roberson, these rule changes won’t change a lot about how fraternities and sororities operate.

“Honestly, the rules haven’t really changed that much,” Roberson said. “Jenell and her team have mostly just strengthened a few rules and brought to light some old or forgotten ones.”