Six healthy late-night snacks to fuel midterm season

Midterm season is upon us. If you’re anything like me, you are staying up until 2 a.m. memorizing study guides, furiously typing essays and taking practice exams. At some point during this process, your stomach starts to growl. You can’t focus. You’re dying for a snack. Most of the time, you’re tempted to run down to Starbucks and order a sugary, carb-laden vanilla scone or lemon pound cake. Though these foods are satisfying in the moment, they can make it harder to focus and prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep. Below are some healthier snack options for your inevitable late-night cravings.

Pistachios

Pistachios seem simple, but they are rich in nutrients and fiber. Put a small bowl of pistachios on your desk while studying at night. 

Photo courtesy of Cherians

Photo courtesy of Cherians

Greek yogurt with fruit and granola

This low-calorie snack easy to make, packed with protein and tastes delicious! Stock your fridge with Greek yogurt and strawberries or blueberries. Make sure to keep granola in your room as well. Whenever you get late night cravings, you can throw this snack together in seconds.

Photo courtesy of Williams-Sonoma

Photo courtesy of Williams-Sonoma

Banana and almond butter toast

This hearty snack has lots of fiber and protein and can also boost your metabolism. On top of this, it tastes great. It’s a perfect food to eat when you’re up late studying. 

Photo courtesy of Healthiac

Photo courtesy of Healthiac

Carrots and hummus

Carrots and hummus are a classic. People love this snack for a reason. Hummus is a great source of protein and carrots are packed full of nutrients. It’s a winning combination, especially for a late-night study session. 

Photo courtesy of elle.com

Photo courtesy of elle.com

Whole grain crackers with ricotta and honey

This light snack is full of calcium and protein. It’s tasty and sure to fill you up. Just spread some ricotta cheese on Whole Grain Wasa Crackers or Kashi 7-Grain Crackers and drizzle them with honey. 

Photo courtesy of Sang An

Photo courtesy of Sang An

Nonfat chocolate pudding

If you need something sweet in your life, go for nonfat chocolate pudding. It will satisfy your sweet tooth, but has no fat so it won’t leave you full at night.

Photo courtesy of Fine Cooking

Photo courtesy of Fine Cooking