Redfoo takes his party rock vibes to next level

Lights. Camera. Party rock. Redfoo, half of the former musical duo LMFAO with his nephew Sky Blu, released his first solo album, Party Rock Mansion, March 18 and performed at the Roxy Theatre Friday. The 13 featured songs provided fans with a revival of LMFAO’s upbeat and electronic sound, but with Redfoo’s personal twist. Redfoo and his bandmates will be touring until early August, with Sapporo, Japan, as their next stop in the international leg of the tour.

The venue filled up with party animals of all ages as opening acts DJ Shufflebot and Q the Hype Man pumped up the crowd with radio hits, glow sticks and inflatable giraffes and zebras. In matching “I Am A Booty Man” tank tops, DJ Shuttlebot worked the music while Q ran the show and interacted well with the audience.

Next was DJ Dainjazone, who kept the crowd going with popular tunes like “Hotline Bling” and “Lean On,” showing the audience familiar sounds before they were exposed to Redfoo’s new tracks.

Finally, Redfoo’s bandmates, in their matching, colorful leopard print clothing, introduced their new leader. The all-too recognizable afro and colorfully rimmed glasses had returned on stage. The opening song, “Keep Shining,” energized the crowd with the same spark LMFAO once had. Although he has moved on from the dynamic duo, Redfoo acknowledged his wild beginnings with throwback songs such as “Shots” and “Party Rock Anthem.” After a blast from the past, Redfoo toasted his new party rock anthems from the album by showering his fans with bottles of Martinelli’s sparkling cider.

In a different manner, Redfoo showed his fans that he could deviate from his old party rocking ways by moving the concert into a more soulful direction. Before performing “Meet Her At Tomorrow,” he explained that it was written about an ex-girlfriend, letting his dark, mystifying voice take hold of the microphone. Features on the new album such as Stevie Wonder in “Where the Sun Goes” adds a new element of expressiveness the artist was not previously known for.

However, Redfoo’s last song of the concert, “Booty Man,” electrified the venue with the band’s matching denim vests that lit up in the midst of the smoky effects. The dancers pulled plenty of girls up onto the stage and Redfoo assembled them into a party train, as one of the tracks on the new album is titled. With a great show in the books, Redfoo managed to leave the audience with a revitalized sense of exhilaration that LMFAO once brought to their fans.