The Dog Cafe is an ideal place to pause for paws

America’s first dog cafe has opened in Los Angeles on Virgil Avenue. The Dog Cafe, founded and owned by Sarah Wolfgang, is changing the way people can interact with and adopt animals in need. The cafe and dog lounge, which are next door to one another, are located in a small shopping center in Silverlake’s Rampart Village neighborhood. The dog lounge is currently open, but for those looking for the perfect coffee/dog combination, wait to visit until Thursday, when The Dog Cafe has its soft opening.

Wolfgang talked about the inspiration behind the creation of her cafe, which is rooted in her childhood.

“I grew up [in Korea], and I actually frequented a lot of dog cafes there,” Wolfgang said. “But my parents wouldn’t allow me to have any pets, so I would just bring my parents along so I could get my dog fix.”

Unfortunately, Wolfgang discovered that most of the dogs in Korean dog cafes are brought in from puppy mills and spend most of their lives in the cafe, so she got herself into the animal world and was able to see the rescue aspect of the business.

“[It was gratifying] to see the dogs go from being in the sheltered environment to being in a happy home,” Wolfgang said.

She moved to Los Angeles with the goal of improving the idea of the dog cafe by incorporating adoption opportunities. Wolfgang has been working on this project for two and a half years and is happy with the team she’s formed, the dog shelters she’s worked with, and the positive feedback she’s received from visitors.

“A lot of people have been very positive about the whole thing,” Wolfgang said. “[I’ve noticed that] a lot of people end up leaving a lot happier because it’s fun to watch the dogs chase each other, it’s fun to interact with the dogs, it’s interesting to learn about the dogs’ history.”

For those not necessarily looking to adopt, it is a nice way to relieve stress with some rescue-dog playtime. The fee to play with the dogs is $10 per person per hour, and guests are permitted to bring cafe items into the dog lounge.

The cafe will offer americanos, pourovers, macchiatos and an assortment of teas. Because chocolate is dangerous for dogs, no drinks with chocolate will be served. Instead, the cafe will have carob lattes on the menu, in the event that a dog accidentally consumes a beverage. The Dog Cafe will also be serving a variety of lemonades, including flavors like lavender, ginger, and rosebud.

Right now, the venue is walk-ins only, but once the cafe opens, reservations are encouraged to ensure spots. Children under five are not permitted to enter the dog lounge, and children between five and 17 must be accompanied by an adult. Adults must sign a liability waiver before entering the dog lounge.

In addition to serving coffee and providing a space for people to play with dogs, The Dog Cafe will also have a retail space, where they will sell merchandise for dogs and dog lovers.