Saved by Grace to perform at the Festival of Books

The Saved By Grace Gospel Choir will be performing on Saturday from 12:50 to 1:20 p.m. on the Main Stage at this year’s Los Angeles Times Festival of Books.

Met by a generous crowd at their past four performances at the festival, SBG lifts everyone’s spirits through it’s joyous and inclusive songs. Its music, which speaks to a large demographic, promotes spiritual and personal development.

SBG was founded in September 1998 and originally went by the name of the “USC Gospel Choir.” Now in its 17th year, SBG has established itself as the choir that spreads the “good news of Jesus Christ through music and spiritual fellowship,” according to the club’s website.

The Daily Trojan had the opportunity to interview Ifeyinwa Anene, the president of SBG.

Daily Trojan: SBG has been very well received at the Festival of Books in previous years. Have you made any changes to this year’s act?

IA: The Festival of Books is an event that we are particularly fond of. Usually the timing of the Festival and our annual spring concert are in close conjunction, so we like to give our audience a little taste of the coming events of our spring concert. The songs that we sing are songs from a selection of our semester’s repertoire coming from a diverse body of both traditional and contemporary gospel music. The songs performed in previous years are songs that are featured in previous concerts from artists such as Tye Tribett, James Fortune and of course, Kirk Franklin. We don’t want to ruin the surprise for the this year’s spring concert, so if you want to come hear the songs that we have chosen from this year, come out and hear us sing on Saturday at this year’s Festival of Books.

DT: Your performances are always so put together. How long did SBG spend preparing for your upcoming performance?

IA: Our work on our repertoire is a semester long process; as a choir we meet once a week on Mondays from 7-9 p.m. and really perfect the songs that we plan to sing at the concert. What will be presented at the Festival of Books will be the product of several weeks of hard work and commitment.

DT: Why should festival-goers go see SBG perform?

IA: If you’re looking for a performance to make you boogie in public, this is the show for you. If you’re looking for an experience different from any other that you’ve experienced, this is it for you. If you’re looking to be uplifted, again, this is not a performance that you want to miss. Anyone who comes and hears what we are about is sure to leave not only with a glow in their chest but a greater sense of camaraderie and connectedness with the people around them.

DT: Any last words?

IA: If you like what you see at the Festival of Books, please come join us at our Spring Concert on April 17 at TCC Ballroom. Doors open at 7 p.m., and it’s free admission for all!