Mapplethorpe exhibit is daring, yet elegant

Artist Robert Mapplethorpe was known for his self-portraits and floral still lifes. In addition, the controversial and homoerotic nature of his later work sparked the attention of art critics nationwide. And though his work may be deemed too risque for the faint of heart, it would be foolish to discount Mapplethorpe’s impact on 20th-century art.

Robert Mapplethorpe: The Perfect Medium is one of the latest special exhibitions at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Currently on display in the Broad Contemporary Art Museum at LACMA (not to be confused with The Broad in downtown L.A.), the exhibit runs until July 31.

As stated on the exhibit’s website, “Mapplethorpe’s practice as an artist was characterized by inherent dualities. He sought what he called ‘perfection in form’ in everything from acts of sexual fetishism to the elegant contours of flower petals.” Robert Mapplethorpe: The Perfect Medium features 182 of Mapplethorpe’s works, which includes pieces from from almost every point in his career. Of his earlier works, his “Untitled (Self Portrait)” from 1972 was particularly charming; it was minimal in style yet provoked the eye with its vivid colors.

Throughout his career, Mapplethorpe collaborated with well-known artists, such as Andy Warhol and Patti Smith. His famous friendship with Smith was showcased in the exhibit, featuring some of the many portraits he photographed of her, including the cover art for her studio album Horses. Further celebrity portraits displayed in the exhibit include bodybuilder Lisa Lyon, and singers Debbie Harry and Iggy Pop.

Mapplethorpe is not only celebrated for his artwork, but also serves as an icon for the male gay community. Much of his work from the late-’70s and into the ’80s emphasize the underground BDSM culture that gained popularity during this time. Though his work gained further exposure for its notoriously graphic content, it has also been criticized for its exploitation of the black male body. And though these portraits were difficult to analyze without scrutinizing the political undertones throughout, Mapplethorpe proves that his work can still garner controversy today.

Conversely, the sensitive nature of his floral works are graceful in essence. Particularly, his “Parrot Tulips” seemed to be a favorite of most patrons visiting the gallery, with its rich colors reminiscent of his earlier works. The dichotomy in Mapplethorpe’s work not only showcases the versatility of his work, but also invokes admiration for the tragic artist.

Tickets for Robert Mapplethorpe: The Perfect Medium are $25 for general admission and free for LACMA members. More information regarding the exhibit may be found online.

1. JendaStenda
    JendaStenda says:

I have a suggestion, his works might be appropriate in those new grey all gender bathrooms being installed on campus.