James Bobin discusses Wonderland sequel

No need to worry about being late, the sequel to Alice in Wonderland the hit 2010 live action spectacle, debuts May 27 in theaters worldwide. Alice Through The Looking Glass, reunites the beloved characters from the original film: the Mad Hatter, the Red Queen, the Blue Caterpillar, and, of course, Alice, as well as many more quirky characters. Taking the directing reigns from the visual revolutionary Tim Burton this time around is James Bobin, who is known for the film The Muppets as well as acclaimed television shows such as Enlightened and Flight of the Conchords.

The Daily Trojan had the opportunity to speak with Bobin about a wide range of subjects, from working with well-known actors Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter to enhancing the visual style of Tim Burton.

“I think really when you’re making a film which is a sequel you have to stay true to the original design in the sense that it feels like the universe and it’s the same world,” Bobin said. “But what was good about this film is that it was — the new movie is set both before and after that film. And also geographically it’s a different location and different places we visit which we haven’t been to before.”

Alice Through The Looking Glass takes place both before and after the plot of the first movie, as Alice (Mia Wasikowska), is forced to go back in time to defeat the Lord of Time (Sacha Baron Cohen), as he attempts to turn Wonderland into a barren, lifeless world. In typical movie fashion, Alice cannot do this alone and seeks the help of the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp) as well as the Red and White Queen (Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway, respectively). Along the way, Alice will encounter new places and new characters that will have an impact on her and how she views the world of Wonderland.

With such an emphasis on the visual world of Wonderland in the first film, Bobin, as well as the writers and studio, believed it was necessary to continue that theme through the creation of these new places for Alice and the team to visit. Bobin, after reading the script, cited the challenges of creating new, innovative places and his process in doing so.

“So often I would do sketches, because I like drawing.” Bobin said.  “Time … has a castle, he lives in this incredible place. And I had an idea about this distance and some sort of obstacle to get to where he was.”

Undoubtedly when one thinks of the film Alice in Wonderland the Mad Hatter himself instantly comes to mind. Returning to one of his many famous character impressions, Depp reprises his role in this film.

“[As the Mad Hatter], he knows his character very well. And so he very much was aware of this character and how this character is played, how he works and his strengths et cetera,” Bobin said. “And when he created the character with [Burton], I think he independently came up with the same idea. It’s always what I thought it should be.”

Alice Through The Looking Glass also features the final performance of film icon Alan Rickman as the Blue Caterpillar. Bobin cites Rickman as one of his heroes and was passionate about the process of working with him, saying simply, “It was amazing.”

While the original film redefined the visual world that films could create via special effects and expert production design in 2010, there is no doubt that the sequel will do the same. Reuniting an all-star cast and beloved characters that transcend age, race and place, Alice Through The Looking Glass is bound to be filled with incredible visuals and production design, a lot of laughs and heart, and definitely, totally worth your time. So don’t be late on May 27, for it is a very important date.