Trojans head to Triton Invitational in San Diego

Distance runners and field athletes are headed off to UC San Diego to compete in the Triton Invitational Friday and Saturday. The majority of participating USC athletes will be throwers and distance runners. Sprinters, hurdlers and most jumpers are getting a week off before the USC-UCLA Dual Meet May 1, at UCLA.

At UCSD, the Trojans will face off against collegiate athletes and professionals in the Triton Track and Field Stadium. Senior thrower, current Pac-12 Women’s Field Athlete of the Week, discus throw school record-holder and owner of the farthest discus throw in the NCAA this season, senior Tera Novy, is among the athletes preparing for this weekend’s competition.

Novy is coming off a second record-breaking throw this season. Novy broke her own school record when she threw 196-6 on April 2 and bested that when she threw 200-5 at the CSULA Twilight Meet on April 14. At the meet she also had throws of 196-1 and 200-1.

“Coach Dan [Lange] said to work on some technique to make my throw better in the finish. It’s about working on the little things, refining it, making it better,” Novy said. “[My results] show that all the hard work is paying off; just gotta stay focused on the process and not let the numbers get ahead of me.”

Despite her continued success, Novy is looking forward to the weekend.

“Just having fun and being able to go out there and compete with some good girls,” Novy said. “It’s mainly a professional meet, and there’ll be girls from all around the country, including the best in America. So, it’ll be nice to have some good competition.”

Novy will be one of seven Trojan throwers at UCSD this weekend. Freshman Nathan Bultman will join redshirt sophomore Nick Ponzio for the men’s shot put and discus throw events. Freshman Matthew Katnik will also compete in the shot put event, while redshirt sophomore David Sellens will perform in the hammer throw next to Bultman. Redshirt junior Erika Peyton and junior Tanya Sapa will participate in the women’s hammer throw. Sapa will also throw in the shot put.

There will also be distance runners on hand for the No. 3-ranked Women of Troy. Senior Natasha Strickland, Redshirt sophomore Rebekah Ent and freshmen Rachel Glynn, Taylor Seamans and Amber Gore will be racing in the 800-meter race.

For the 3,000-meter run will be redshirt freshmen Madison Ricks and Sophia Racette. Racette will also run at the 5,000-meter distance. Competing in the 3,000-meter steeplechase will be seniors Jenna Tong and Katerina Berdousi.

Sophomore Madisen Richards will compete in the long jump.

For the No. 15 Men of Troy, the 800-meter race will feature senior Will Robinson and sophomores Jordon Wallin and Mitchell Cameron. Cameron will also be competing in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. In the 5,000-meter run will be freshmen Nicolaus Jakowec and Trent Rule.