Women’s water polo completes perfect season with win over Cal

The No. 1 women’s water polo team capped off an undefeated season with an 11-6 win over No. 6 Cal on Friday afternoon at Uytengsu Aquatics Center.

With a 21-0 overall mark and a 6-0 record in conference play, the Women of Troy put together a perfect season and etched themselves into the history books.

“It’s just incredible,” sophomore goalie Victoria Chamorro said. “I have no words. It’s such a great feeling. It’s rewarding because we worked really hard. It feels really special and unique right now.”

Chamorro made five saves in the winning effort, which saw USC pull away after holding a narrow 4-3 lead late in the first half.

Junior driver Stephania Haralabidis recorded four goals, including a penalty shot conversion with two seconds left in the half. That preceded a goal by junior 2-meter Brigatta Games 10 seconds earlier. The two quick strikes by the Trojans gave them a 6-3 lead at halftime.

USC outscored Cal 5-3 in the second half for a comfortable victory, with Haralabidis converting the final of her four tallies midway through the fourth period to put the Trojans ahead 9-4 and allow them to coast to a perfect season.

Though, perfection doesn’t come without hard work and a cost.

“When we sacrifice something, [head coach Jovan Vavic says that] water polo gods see this,” Haralabidis said. “We have this result in the water because we work so hard and we don’t have much of a social life but school and water polo.”

Chamorro cited a combination of hard work and chemistry as the key to 21-0.

“We’re always supporting each other, making sure everyone’s on the same page,” Chamorro said. “It doesn’t matter if you’re a senior or freshman. Working hard every single day in practice, staying after practice and just building and building and building every single day.”

The building isn’t done yet. The team has already locked up a spot in the semifinals of the MPSF tournament on April 30, which will be a tune up before the NCAA Championships begin on May 13 in Westwood.