Tarleton, Munday highlight women’s lacrosse’s awards

On the heels of a perfect 17-0 regular season, the No. 5 women’s lacrosse team received a number of honors on Wednesday.

Headlining the news were senior captain Courtney Tarleton, who received MPSF Player of the Year honors, and head coach Lindsey Munday, who was named MPSF Coach of the Year for the second consecutive season.

Eight members of the team, including Munday, received awards in all, and seven players landed on the all-conference first and second teams.

Senior attacker Caroline deLyra, senior midfielder Amanda Johansen junior attacker Michaela Michael, sophomore goalie Gussie Johns and Tarleton were named to the first team, while junior attacker Kylie Drexel and sophomore midfielder Lydia Sutton landed on the second team.

A four-year captain, Tarleton anchored the nation’s top defense this season. Her 2.59 caused turnovers per game ranks first in the conference and seventh in the country, earning her MPSF Defensive Player of the Week honors three times this season.

Munday has brought the Women of Troy a long ways in four years. The 17 wins this season is the most in team history and third in MPSF history. USC’s No. 5 ranking is also the highest ranking for an MPSF team in history.

The Trojans will look to cap off their impressive season with an MPSF title. They will play either Denver or UC Davis in the semifinals of the MPSF tournament on Friday.