L.A. fashion brand aims to empower young girls

It seems that every year more and more brands are marketing themselves as environmentally friendly, globally conscious or charitable in some way to their local communities. Le Dessein, an upscale fashion line, is doing that and more.

With an objective of empowering girls in developing countries, Le Dessein donates 25 percent of all profits to pay for yearly school tuitions in Africa. Partnering with a young girls’ academy in Liberia, the students are encouraged to get in touch with their artistic sides by drawing portraits that are then elegantly embroidered onto the brand’s clothing. Made in Los Angeles, Le Dessein hopes to send 10,000 girls of developing countries to school over the next 10 years.

Founded by designer Eric Coly, the brand was created out of inspiration from his mother. The youngest of nine children, she and her family lived in a suburb called Rufisque in Senegal. There she sought to change the status quo, where the education of young girls was considered a cultural taboo. Her desire for education spurred her studies of pharmacy in France and trickled down to Eric, his brother Franck and his two sisters. Combining an interest in fashion and a drive to empower young people through education, Eric created Le Dessein as a socially responsible clothing line that practices philanthropy through style and creativity.

Le Dessein embodies girl power through their designs that offer edgy and chic looks, while staying true to their mission that is founded on the principles of power, confidence and compassion. With over 65 million girls currently out of school in the developing world, Le Dessein helps these girls practice self-expression in the hopes that making such a connection will help foster the link between the arts and education.

Through the continued integration of the girls’ designs into the fashion itself, the brand helps them to not only achieve a better understanding of themselves, but also provide them with educational opportunities. With so many other brands beginning to embody socially conscious missions as well, Le Dessein sets itself apart through its direct connection with the community which it seeks to help.

The unique process goes beyond the girls making their own designs. It is an empowering project that combines fashion and artistic expression with an honest mission of educating the often overlooked overpopulation of girls in these developing nations.

The brand has brought a consciousness to fashion in unparalleled ways. With its honorable objectives and tasteful designs, the clothing brand is sure to only garner more success. So many people would love to give back to local and global communities, but don’t believe they have the time to build houses over the weekend or volunteer at a soup kitchen for a few hours. Le Dessein combines fashion and female empowerment; as a result, the brand is the perfect embodiment of what it means to be a globally conscious and forward-thinking business.