Codesmith offers student scholarship

Codesmith, a coding bootcamp based in Los Angeles, is making it easier than ever for USC students and alumni to get the skills required to start careers in computer science and software engineering.

The company recently announced a $4,300 scholarship exclusively for USC students to attend one of their coding bootcamps. CTO Will Sentance said that the scholarship is another part of Codesmith’s initiative to make hard skills such as coding easier for people who didn’t necessarily study computer science or engineering in college, but want to get started in those fields.

“I’ve always felt that it’s an injustice that your destiny, your life chances, are sort of set for you by 18,” Sentance said. “You could be 25, you could be 30, but if you did not get on the right track at 18, it’s very hard to go, ‘Now I want to achieve my dreams and become a software engineer.’”

The 12-week program primarily focuses on teaching full-stack JavaScript and preparing participants for careers in software engineering, according to its website. However, alumni of the program have found that those are not the only skills they have left with.

Jenna Davis, who graduated from USC in 2014 with a degree in psychology, said that the team-based exercises in the program between a “driver” who types out the code and a “navigator” who tells the code to the “driver” was extremely helpful in developing her communication skills.

“Communication is a super, super important part of being a successful coder and understanding what’s going on,” Davis said. “It’s not just about google-searching and copy-and-pasting stuff. It’s a huge, huge part of the learning process.”

According to Sentance, the scholarship is a result of the success USC students and alumni have had in the program.

“We put a huge weight on people being committed to giving back to their community, and we’ve been very impressed by the USC candidates for their willingness to mentor others, give back to the community and carry forward the values that were instilled in them at USC,” Sentance said.

Aaron Peltz, an alumnus of the class of 2009 who studied business administration, said that while he thought the Codesmith program was already extremely beneficial, the scholarship will make the bootcamp even more appealing for students.

“I thought Codesmith was a good option for someone who may come from a different background who wants a really aggressive program to expedite a transition into another industry without the scholarship,” Peltz said. “So the fact that there is a scholarship available makes it that much more compelling for people who are considering it.”

Davis agreed, saying that the scholarship will help those who couldn’t have afforded to attend Codesmith in the past.

“I think it’s a major opportunity,” Davis said. “I wish it were available for me. It’s not cheap, entering one of these bootcamps, but I think that if you really want to do it and you’re passionate about it, then finances shouldn’t stay in your way.”