E3 returns to Los Angeles Convention Center for 22nd annual event

For the past 22 years, the Entertainment Software Association has used the annual Electronic Entertainment Expo, popularly known as E3, to showcase new products in the video game industry.

This year, E3 will return to the Los Angeles Convention Center from June 14-16. This time, however, fans will play a much bigger role.

Increased fan participation will be an important factor in this year’s expo. E3 is first and foremost a trade show, which means only credentialed media and exhibitors have access behind closed doors. Many fans have been disappointed that they cannot take part in the action through sampling games, talking to publishers and developers or watching gameplay. Fortunately, attendees at this year’s E3 can expect a substantial change.

Publishers will hold fan events that will allow the public to demo new games and walk away with some memorabilia. EA, known for their games Madden, Battlefield and FIFA, will be hosting its own public event. Moreover, athletes such as NFL running back Marshawn Lynch will also be present to join in on the fun.

Building off the idea of increased fan participation comes a wholly original event, E3 Live, for the fans designed by the ESA in conjunction with the annual trade show. E3 Live will be taking place at L.A. Live and Hewitt said this fan fest celebrates everything about video games. Most importantly, it will allow fans to have a taste of what media has been able to experience for years on end.

This year, tickets sold out in less than 10 hours. Hewitt’s response: “Remarkable.”

E3 is known for its marquee announcements, as they allow the public to get a glimpse of the video game industry’s future in the next two to three years. Dan Hewitt, who serves as the vice president of media relations and event management at the Entertainment Software Association said  fans should expect approximately 200 announcements and product reveals from industry leaders such as EA, Sony and Nintendo. In addition, more than 2,000 projects currently in progress will be on display on the show floor.

“The best part of E3 is the surprise,” Hewitt said.

While nothing has been announced officially, there have been many rumors surrounding the announcements that will take place at the 3-day event. For example, titles such as Dead Rising 4, a remastered version of Skyrim, and Injustice 2 have been a big buzz among members in the gaming community. Fans will be anticipating more details of announcements at the expo.

Virtual reality has recently become a popular topic. Headsets such as Oculus VR’s Oculus Rift and Sony’s Morpheus have drawn a lot of interest in both the gaming and entertainment industries. Fans can expect an increased focus on VR at the E3 Expo. Both Sony and Microsoft will heavily feature VR as a new way to play video games at the event with demos of developing games and products.