Phones disconnect society

It seems now more than ever in the digital age that cell phones are a controversial issue on the topic of being social and present in the moment. It’s important to realize that while cell phones can help people keep each other updated and simplify the process of getting together for social events, they shouldn’t be used in lieu of talking face-to-face or as a means to have a heartfelt conversation.

Cell phones have done wonders to help people connect with each other across distances. Seeing a friend update their status about the impressive internship they recently landed or the awesome views that they saw on their most recent vacation takes almost no time to share. With a few taps, someone’s latest life event can be condensed and made available for their friends to see on a Facebook status, an Instagram picture or some other post on one of the vast choices of social media outlets. It’s a simple process that isn’t lost on today’s society, especially with college students who simply can’t talk with their hometown friends like they used to. On the other hand, cell phones, in a way, have made people less social than ever before. Instead of talking with the people they are currently with in the moment, they use their phones to create superficial connections with people farther away from them. Seeing what’s going on in a friend’s life on Facebook while at a restaurant with friends is not only rude, but also detracts from the environment that everyone at the table is in. Some might think that being on their phone while their other friends are engaged in conversation isn’t hurting anyone but themselves, but it’s quite the opposite. They are missing out on the opportunity to connect with their peers, add to the conversation and, most importantly, be present in the moment. In The Atlantic, Sherry Turkle, an MIT psychologist who has devoted much of her time to studying the relationship between humans and technology, suggests that phones should be put away in “sacred spaces” such as the dinner table and other places to allow for intimate interactions.

It’s a sad sight to see when a group of college students spend the majority of their time in a group texting other people or being preoccupied with their screens as opposed to each other’s company. It’s especially annoying to see someone record a concert the whole time and post everything to their Snapchat story. It’s a pain for the person standing behind them to have their view of what’s happening on the stage obscured because the jackass in front of them is trying to capture the whole performance on their phones. It’s especially rude to the artist, who expects the crowd’s undivided attention, because why else would they be there? It’s OK to take a picture or a video or two, but after that, just enjoy the music. It’s a better experience to actually watch the artist do their thing as opposed to looking at them through a screen the entire time.

Cell phones have made conversation more convenient, but they have also diluted it to the point where it’s almost non-existent at times. The previous generation is always claiming that conversation in their day was leaps and bounds more exciting, and that they were much better conversationalists than the current generation as a result of not having the technology we do today. It’s possible that their claim is true, but it could also be a case of nostalgia affecting their memory. Regardless, some constructive advice could be taken from their ramblings. It is acceptable to use a cell phone for a short amount of time or, obviously, in an emergency, but it’s better to put it away in the company of others and live life in moment as it’s meant to be enjoyed.