USC volleyball star nominated for ESPY

Former USC volleyball star Samantha Bricio has been nominated for a 2016 ESPY Award for Best College Female Athlete.

The 6’2” outside hitter from Guadalajara, Mexico graduated last May with a degree in psychology. After being chosen as an AVCA All-American for the third time in her career, being named 2015 Player of the Year and receiving the Honda Sports Award, Bricio has a chance now to add another award to her resume.

She holds four records for the USC women’s volleyball program: kills (2,095), attacks (5,499), service aces (301) and points (2,546.5). In her senior season, she led the country in points (803), points per set (6.18) and service aces (86). Bricio will start her professional career with the Italian champions of Imoco Conegliano Volley, where she will play in the European Champions League as well.

The award ceremony show is set for Wednesday, July 13, at 5 p.m. at the Microsoft Theater in L.A. Live. It will be hosted by wrestler John Cena and will be broadcast on ABC.

Former high school football player Zaevion Dobson will be honored with the Arthur Ashe Courage Award after he lost his life last December to save three girls in a gunfire. Additionally, reporter Craig Sager will receive the Jimmy V. Perseverance Award.

Top nominees in the list among others are LeBron James, Stephen Curry, Serena Williams, Flavia Pennetta, Novak Djokovic and Katie Ledecky. Bricio has been nominated in her category with UConn women’s basketball star Breanna Stewart, Penn State soccer player Raquel Rodriguez, University of Maryland lacrosse midfielder Taylor Cummings, and Michigan shortstop and second baseman Sierra Romero.

Stewart helped her team to win its fourth consecutive NCAA women’s basketball championships and is the second player to be named MVP in the finals for the fourth time. First pick in the 2016 WNBA Draft, she will play her first professional season for the Seattle Storm. Rodriguez was the second pick in the 2016 NWSL Draft. Internationally, she scored her native Costa Rica’s first-ever goal in the 2015 FIFA World Cup.

Cummings helped her team win two back-to-back national championships in 2014 and 2015. Romero was named a first team All-American every year during her college career and holds NCAA career records in runs and grand slams. The winner will be chosen with an online vote on the ESPN website.