University Park offers a wide selection of restaurants and eateries

While USC boasts some of the best dining halls in the country, many students want to branch away and explore what Los Angeles has to offer. Luckily for students, L.A. has some of the most diverse and delicious food, and one can find anything from tacos to pancakes within a one-mile radius around USC. From breakfast to a late night snack, there’s always something around USC that will not disappoint.

Breakfast

For the days where dining hall eggs are just not enough, there are plenty of options around campus to fuel the day. Jacks N Joes is a popular breakfast spot located conveniently down Figueroa Street just off of Adams Boulevard. The restaurant serves breakfast all day, with menu options like the WTF pancakes, crazy shaped pancakes covered in fruit; 7 Minutes in Heaven, a Hawaiian bread French Toast with Nutella and fruit; and loaded hash browns. Be sure to arrive early because wait times can range from 30 to 40 minutes during brunch hours.

For a quick bite to eat, Armando’s Lunch Truck is a go-to for many students. While the truck has more than just breakfast options, it’s well known for the stunning breakfast burritos that are loaded with eggs, potatoes, cheese, salsa and a choice of meat. Though the truck isn’t always around, it can usually be found on Jefferson Boulevard near McClintock Avenue or Hoover Street.

Brunch

In true L.A. fashion, the University Park area has plenty of restaurants for Sunday brunch. For anyone looking for the strangest, yet tastiest breakfast burrito or some of the best Indian-Mexican fusion food, look no further than 23rd Street Cafe. Top sellers on the menu include the Chicken Tikka Masala Breakfast Burrito, Samosas and the Chicken Tikka Masala Quesadillas, but the menu has a large variety of items including espresso and smoothies.

However, if espresso and smoothies are a must, Nature’s Brew is the destination. Located on Union Street right off of Hoover Street, Nature’s Brew is a cozy spot to grab brunch with a friend and catch up over the best latte or smoothie in town. In addition to that is a stellar brunch menu that includes a Smoked Salmon Omelette, a Tofu Scramble and a freshly made Morning Meat or Veggie Quiche. If it’s fresh and delicious, it’ll definitely be on the menu at Nature’s Brew.

Adjacent to Nature’s Brew is Bacaro LA, which specializes in tapas and small plates. With a cool atmosphere and a modern and innovative menu, Bacaro easily serves up the best food around USC. Brunch plates include Free-Range Egg Pizza, French Toast, Croque Madam and much more. The dinner menu doesn’t disappoint either, with dishes like the delicious mac and cheese with truffle oil, the grilled chicken breast on a crispy risotto cake or the margherita pizza to name a few. Bacaro also has many happy hour specials and deals for three small plates, so indulge away.

Dinner

As the sun starts to set and dinner rolls around the corner, many students leave campus looking for new and exotic dinner options in the area. Luckily there’s Revolutionario: North African Tacos on Jefferson Boulevard, which serves up some of the most interesting and unique tacos in town. Tacos include duck hash tacos, Pozole tagine tacos, made of vegetables, hominy, lamb, beef, chicken and chickpea tagine tacos, with spinach, sweet potatoes. The menu also has burritos, sandwiches and salads.

As with vegan dining options, there are also many delicious restaurants like Azla, located inside Mercado la Paloma east of campus, Azla serves up filling and tasty Ethiopian food. Meals come with rice or injera and selections of entrees or salads, which include Yatakilt, made of curry potatoes, carrots and cabbage, Keysir Salad, featuring marinated beets and quinoa, or Misir, made of red lentils and spicy berbere.

Another great dinner option is Ahipoki Bowl, a new poke bowl shop just south of campus. The restaurant is build-your-own-bowl style, similar to Chipotle, where guests can choose a base of rice, salad or both, a choice of raw or cooked fish, sauce and toppings like cucumbers, seaweed salad and crab. Pro tip: Order the rice and salad because the containers are way bigger, so there’s more of the poke bowl to enjoy.