Football depth chart reveals strong assets on offense

With just two weeks until a face off with the No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide, head coach Clay Helton announced the official depth chart for the 2016 season.

The biggest question mark for USC was answered as Helton named redshirt junior quarterback Max Browne the starter for 2016.

The decision to go with the experienced Browne over dual-threat redshirt freshman Sam Darnold was one of the toughest decisions in his coaching career, Helton said.

“At this point, we feel that it is in the best interest of our football team to lean on the veteran experience that Max Browne has,” Helton said.

And while Darnold may be utilized in special offensive packages, Helton will allow Browne to make mistakes from week-to-week.

Not only does this decision cement Browne as the starter for the entire season and next season as well (barring any poor play, injuries or a trip to the NFL), it also confirms predictions of a pass-happy offense under Browne.

Though Darnold could be brought in for a couple of option runs here or there, some say the majority of scoring will be through the air instead of on the ground.

As for the offense surrounding Browne, the Trojans will feature starting receivers junior JuJu Smith-Schuster, redshirt junior Steven Mitchell Jr. and senior Darreus Rodgers. On the line of scrimmage, redshirt senior tight end Taylor McNamara will join redshirt sophomores fullback Reuben Peters, left guard Chris Brown, redshirt seniors right tackle Zach Banner and left tackle Chad Wheeler, junior right guard Viane Talamaivao and junior center Toa Lobendahn.

And while most of the starters on offense have been solidified, the battles at left guard and slot receiver could continue into the beginning of the season between Brown and junior Damien Mama at guard and Mitchell and sophomore Deontay Burnett.

In the backfield, sophomore phenom Ronald Jones II will be playing behind senior veteran Justin Davis with sophomore Aca’Cedric Ware earning the third-string spot.

The defensive side of the ball features much more uncertainty, especially up front.

With new defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast’s innovative 5-2 defensive scheme, the Trojans have unanswered questions at the both defensive end positions with sophomores Noah Jefferson and Rasheem Green competing over the left end spot and redshirt sophomore Malik Dorton battling Green for the right side.

Green could fit in either spot if either Jefferson or Dorton injure themselves before the season opener.

Redshirt senior nose tackle Stevie Tu’ikolovatu will provide USC with experience and much-needed run-stopping prowess up front.

Looking at the second level, sophomore outside linebacker Porter Gustin, sophomore inside linebacker Cameron Smith, senior inside linebacker Michael Hutchings and junior outside linebacker Uchenna Nwosu all earned starting positions and give the defense consistent play-making ability.

In the secondary, while cornerbacks junior Adoree’ Jackson and sophomore Iman Marshall and sophomore free safety Marvell Tell III are locks, redshirt junior Chris Hawkins and senior Leon McQuay III will compete further for the strong safety spot before facing Alabama in week one.

Surprisingly enough, freshman Jack Jones has a chance to earn second-string honors if he can outlast redshirt sophomore Ajene Harris.

On special teams, the Trojans place kicker will be redshirt junior Matt Boermeester, with the punter position still in limbo with redshirt sophomores Chris Tilbey and Reid Budrovich both impressing in camp.

Senior snapper Zach Smith and redshirt sophomore holder Wyatt Schmidt join returners Jackson, Jones and Mitchell Jr. as the last starters on special teams.

Overall, the Trojans’ most experienced players earned starting spots, with some freshmen such as Jones, defensive end Oluwole Betiku and wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. each hoping to see significant playing time.