Amazebowls opens restaurant in Arts District

Taylor Gorski | Daily Trojan Coco for coconuts · The coconut acai bowl (above) is one of Amazebowls’ most popular items. The store is known for its simple menu of five different acai and pitaya bowls, usually blended with hemp milk and berries.

Taylor Gorski | Daily Trojan
Coco for coconuts · The coconut acai bowl (above) is one of Amazebowls’ most popular items. The store is known for its simple menu of five different acai and pitaya bowls, usually blended with hemp milk and berries.

USC students are all too familiar with Amazebowls, the truck parked on campus to satisfy everyone’s on-the-go acai cravings. Amazebowls has stepped up their game from their standard four wheels, and now has a store location situated in the Arts District. It is only about a 10 minute drive from campus. Formerly a popular purple food truck, Amazebowls has finally expanded to its own restaurant location.

With fresh white counters and a simple menu, their new space gives off a clean and minimalistic feel. Choose between three different bowls, the Amazebowl, Fresh Prince of Bowl Air, or Dragon Bowl-Z. An acai bowl is a fruit bowl filled up with fruits such as strawberries, berries and coconuts. Other ingredients granola and coconut shavings complete the bowl’s aesthetic.

If visitors are not feeling a bowl, opt for one of their smoothies, the Berry Medley or Tropic Thunder. Unlike the Amazebowls food truck, you can order your acai bowl in a frozen coconut at the restaurant.  Topped with granola or trail mix, along with edible flowers, the coconut bowl option is almost too pretty to eat. One taste in, however, and it’ll be gone in a few quick minutes.

Every bowl is delicious and perfectly smooth. Not only are the bowls amazing, but the staff is extremely friendly and hospitable. Ingredients such as ice and juice are not used in the making of the bowls. A good recommendation would be to replace the mint leaves with lemon or orange zest.

The Fresh Prince of Bowl Air is known for its slushee type of acai at the bottom of the bowl. It contains acai, blueberries, pineapples, bananas, almond milk, mint with strawberries and agave.

The original mini Amazebowl replaces the standard bananas with extra grapes and strawberries. The only downside of the restaurant is that the bowls are expensive, priced at $6.50 with other menu items at $7. Appealing to yoga fanatics and health nuts, every Amazebowl is extremely nutritious and only a few hundred calories.

Those who have complained about the logistics of the truck will find that many of the problems don’t exist anymore. This is the first location of Amazebowls, and another one is set to open in Venice Beach very soon. Not only are Amazebowls Instagram worthy, but nutritious, delicious and aesthetically pleasing. It is open the week between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.