Utah State will put USC on upset alert

Brian Chin | Daily Trojan Rockin’ Rogers · Senior wide receiver Darreus Rogers and the Trojans face a tough and confident Utah State team. The Aggies are coming off a 45-6 season opening victory against Weber State last weekend.

Brian Chin | Daily Trojan
Rockin’ Rogers · Senior wide receiver Darreus Rogers and the Trojans face a tough and confident Utah State team. The Aggies are coming off a 45-6 season opening victory against Weber State last weekend.

In the wake of a disappointing season-opening loss to Alabama, the football team can’t afford to view Saturday’s game against Utah State as a guaranteed bounce back. If they are taken lightly, this dangerous Aggie football team could hand USC its first 0-2 start since 1997.

Over the past six or so years, Utah State has been quietly living in its golden age. After appearing in just five bowl games over the course of 51 years, the Aggies have participated in a bowl game each year since 2011. The program has become a type of stepping stone in the process. Former head coach Gary Anderson landed bigger jobs at Wisconsin and now Oregon State because of his successes at Utah State. Linebacker Bobby Wagner (2008-2011) used his time with the Aggies as a platform to become a Super Bowl champion two-time Pro-Bowler with the Seattle Seahawks. Despite never cracking the top 80 in recruiting class ranking since 2011, according to Rivals, the Aggies continuously maximize their talent, allowing them to capture a 2012 conference championship and three 9-plus win seasons. The bottom line: Utah State has been playing high-level football for a while now, and it tends to not shy away from the moment.

Utah State, though, plays much lesser competition in the Mountain West Conference, which is weaker than the Pac-12. Despite this, the Aggies have developed a reputation as a giant killer. Since 2009, they either defeated or lost by less than two touchdowns to eight ranked opponents (they were victorious as the underdog on four of those occasions). Utah State has proven that it can hang with the Oklahomas and Auburns of the world. In fact, the Aggies showed that they belong in the same stadium as USC just a few years ago, when the Trojans beat them by a mere field goal in 2013.

Hail Marys, blocked field goals and trick plays. Normally, these are the big plays required to complete a major upset in college football. The scary part of Utah State’s game is that it doesn’t need any of these to be victorious. Instead, the Aggies can just run the ball down opponent’s throats. One week into the season, and Utah State is already tied for first in the nation in rushing yards with 428. A depleted USC defensive line that gave up 5.4 yards per rush to Alabama may not have a chance to catch its breath this weekend. Utah State possesses a star running back in Devante Mays who ran for 208 yards and 3 touchdowns against Weber State on opening weekend.

In addition to Mays, efficient quarterback Kent Myers can accumulate his fair share of yardage on the ground, as well as catch defenses off balance through the play action. Winning the line of scrimmage will be key for USC, as Utah State’s read option style of play is very similar to what Lane Kiffin dialed up with Alabama freshman quarterback Jalen Hurts in Dallas.

Utah State does not seem like a Stanford or a Notre Dame or an Oregon. Yet, if the Trojans are going to bounce back from the Alabama loss and contend for a Pac-12 Championship, handling Utah State in convincing fashion will be imperative. The time is now for Clay Helton’s squad to play up to their potential, and Utah State may not give them a choice.