Love F-cking Sucks’ founder sets out to prove his business’ name wrong

Brett McGinn has started an unconventional business that offers someone the opportunity to talk to about love, relationships and anything else weighing on your heart.

Digital dating is integrating itself so quickly into our lives that even Tinder feels old school when compared to the dozens of new hook-up apps polluting your sponsored spaces on Instagram. While one’s next “tinderella” may be one swipe away, there’s a cost to accessibility and immediacy. McGinn himself feels, “people tend to get lazy when they meet digitally. When done through apps, flirting often loses its excitement.” But, despite the baby boomer’s image of millennials as glued to their phones in apathy and laziness, college kids have a lot on their plate. Between getting good grades, finding competitive internships, networking and keeping up on current events like celebrity break ups, we don’t have much time for romance.

In college culture, it’s hard to find a viable candidate for your heart. As students, we’re mostly limited to the USC safety patrol zone for finding bachelors or bachelorettes. And a relationship in college can cost you your friends when they get a little too tired of drunken rants about your significant other. But those problems are the very basis of McGinn’s company.

“I think there are a sh-tload of people -— generally high school aged –— late 20’s — that find themselves alone, sad and confused when going through a hard time in a relationship,” McGinn said. “They might be above getting a psychiatrist because of the negative connotations that are associated with doing so.” He continues  to state that people might also find themselves in a cycle where they’re annoying the sh-t out of their friends by excessively talking about their frustrations with their love lives. Maybe they have a psychiatrist and a support group and they still want someone else to talk to.

This isn’t just another love line and you won’t find Brett putting Dr. before his name like Drew, nor is he after a reality TV series for celebrities last seen on TV 10 years ago or a radio show with a constituency of drunken fans awake at 3 a.m. McGinn assures his clients that he’s just a real person who cares.

As for his own love life, McGinn admits that it’s not fairytale worthy just yet. “Just because I can help you with your relationship problems doesn’t mean I have all of mine figured out,” McGinn said. “As much as I want to find the girl of my dreams and live happily ever after, sometimes love f-cking sucks.” The 26-year-old has been single for almost a decade but don’t count him out of the game. Rather, he’s had the chance to observe and learn for all those years and come out a knowledgeable and caring shoulder to cry on.

McGinn’s opinion on set payment structures is similar to popular opinion of the split of Brad and Angelina, it sucks. As such, McGinn lets his clients determine how much they pay. Essentially, you can afford love advice heralded by LA Mag and Broken Museum of Relationships AND an Amazebowl, proving paradise does exist.

If one is curious about how a museum can take a stance on a love guru, check it out this Sunday for what McGinn will be meeting with people at the Museum of Broken Relationships for consultations on a first come first served basis on Sept. 25th from 2 to 5 p.m. Anyone that pays for admission into the museum can sit down with him one-on-one and talk to him about their love life, or lack thereof.