Review: Pearl’s Finest Teas delivers fresh boba drinks

pearls-ratingCoined “Fairfax’s Hippest New Boba Shop” by Los Angeles Eater, Pearl’s Finest Teas blends right in with Fairfax’s hip aesthetic of streetwear brands and sneaker stores, located several blocks down from Diamond Supply Co. and Supreme. With a trendy atmosphere and tasteful drink options, Pearl’s is destined for success.

The shop’s simple exterior is invitingly minimalistic, with two bold phrases plastered onto its glass door walls: #PARTEANEXTDOOR and BOBA. Inside, however, is where the tea-making magic is.

To the right, huge palm leaf prints are plastered against a light pink wall, with a sprinkle of clever hashtags. To the left, a clean wall menu reveals a wide variety of tea options, ranging from non-caffeinated drinks to the standard milk teas.

The menu also separates drinks into categories for customer convenience, since the store draws many first-time tea enthusiasts from its diverse neighborhood. There are four categories — The Standard, Coffee, The Finest and Herbal Mist — alongside a “Customize Your Tea” option for L.A. tea connoisseurs.

Pearl’s proudest drinks, however, are found in its Finest category, boasting of unique names, flavors and positive responses on its Instagram. L.A. Dirt, Orange Yuzu and Chamango are only a few to name under The Finest option, which ranges from a horchata milk tea to sea-salt coffee with a hint of oreo. The rest of their menu, however, should not be overlooked.

Terry Nguyen | Daily Trojan Boba time · Pearl’s Finest Teas offers a wide variety of tea drinks in four different menu categories. The Horchata Milk Tea (above), a mix of Mexican and Asian flavors, is one of the items on the menu.

Terry Nguyen | Daily Trojan
Boba time · Pearl’s Finest Teas offers a wide variety of tea drinks in four different menu categories. The Horchata Milk Tea (above), a mix of Mexican and Asian flavors, is one of the items on the menu.

The Herbal Mist category, although several cents pricier than their standard drinks, offers a selection of brewed and roasted teas with floral inspired flavors, like Blooming Blossom, Wild Lavender and Pink Rose Bud. The Herbal Mist teas contain honey instead of sugar, and some are brewed on the spot for distinct, fresh flavors.

In contrast to  some other traditional boba shops, Pearl’s offers hot teas in addition to its cold and blended styles. Its customizable milk choices are perfect, catering to non-dairy consumers with hemp, soy and non-dairy options. Pearl’s  offers standard selections coupled with refreshing flavors. Customers can stick to the menu or order their own fancy creations.

The best part is, Pearl’s drinks do not contain artificial powders used by many boba shops. Its honey boba — one of eight topping choices — has a chewy consistency and is given generously in its drinks. For a $4 to $5 price range with no additional toppings, Pearl’s drinks appear to fall on the pricier side, but its cup sizes (24 oz. for cold drinks and 20 oz. for hot) compensate for that factor. The drinks are not filling, but serve as a refreshing treat to sip on any time of the day.

Already, Pearl’s has attracted much attention from their local community, even if its grand opening is expected to take place in October. Pearl’s atmosphere draws pedestrians and shoppers into its comfortably modern setting. The marble tabletops, bar stools, cushioned seats and free Wi-Fi invite customers to stay awhile and enjoy a drink before continuing their shopping routine. Pearl’s Finest Teas is located on Fairfax Avenue and is open daily from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.