USC Special Event Committee organizes Murder Mystery Dinner

For anyone looking for mystery, murder, free food and a chance to channel their inner Sherlock Holmes, look no further. Undergraduate Student Government’s Special Events Committee will present a USC Murder Mystery Dinner this Friday in the Trojan Grand Ballroom.

The Murder Mystery Dinner will be an immersive experience for attendees, similar to a game of Clue. Attendees are asked to dress up in cocktail or Halloween attire to add a sense of realism to the evening as they take on new identities.

The night will begin with mocktails and transition to a complimentary three-course dinner. Throughout the night, various murders will occur and guests will have to work together to figure out who the murderer is by gathering clues. Once the clues are gathered, attendees will have to decide if it was indeed Mr. Green in the study with the candlestick.

“It’s something that has never happened on a large scale at USC before, and it’s a great opportunity for students to socialize and meet new people in an unconventional way,” said Executive Director Gisella Tan. “It is also a fun and a rare opportunity for students to roleplay and dress up.”

SEC has hired a production company called Keith and Margo’s Murder Mystery Dinner, who will have professional undercover actors interacting with the attendees. These hidden actors will facilitate the investigation by interrogating audience members and helping them find clues in order to solve the mystery.

The company specializes in mysterious dinner theatre. It has worked at weekly dinners, private parties, corporate events and more. Keith and Margo’s Murder Mystery Dinner also offers weekly performances at Matteo’s Restaurant in West L.A.

The Special Events Committee has organized a variety of events for students, such as the Zombie Run and the Welcome Back Comedy Show. The committee aims to create exciting events for students who are seeking fun beyond conventional events, such as concerts or festivals.

“We really hope students get out of their comfort zone with their new identities and just have a great time,” Tan said.

SEC’s Murder Mystery Dinner will take place Oct. 14 at 6 p.m. in the Trojan Grand Ballroom. The event is RSVP only, and while the event has reached its maximum capacity, some spots may open up.