New Thornton students show their musical talents at Ground Zero

Emily Smith | Daily Trojan Pop performance · First-year students at the Thornton School of Music’s pop music program performed live at Ground Zero for their midterm. Families and friends of students were invited to the special showcase.

Emily Smith | Daily Trojan
Pop performance · First-year students at the Thornton School of Music’s pop music program performed live at Ground Zero for their midterm. Families and friends of students were invited to the special showcase.

Making her way to the center of the stage, sophomore Elshaddai Mulugeta could only see the lights from the rafters shining in her eyes. As she squinted, faces of family members and friends came into focus.

After several weeks of memorizing lyrics, running scales and rehearsing, it was time to perform. Except this wasn’t just any performance — it was her midterm.

On Wednesday, Mulugeta and the rest of USC’s first-year pop music students performed at Ground Zero Performance Cafe. The seventh annual Pop Music First Year Showcase was hosted by the Thornton School of Music and led by professor Andy Abad and program chair Patrice Rushen.

The popular music program encompasses different genres such as rock, pop, R&B, folk, Latin and country music. Described as “the cutting-edge department that’s become the site of one of Los Angeles’ most productive new music scenes” by Rolling Stone, the program helps students master and understand music beyond the traditional offerings of other university music programs.

In the popular music program, students collaborate in small groups and learn skills such as songwriting and arranging, music production and performance. On Wednesday, the students’ performances determined their midterm scores.

The performances began at 8 p.m. Ten minutes before the performance, the entire cafe was packed with students and community members. Because there were no seats left, people flocked to the front of the stage, ready to support the talented group of students.

On the small stage in Ground Zero, four bands composed of students in the program took turns performing different pieces of upbeat and passionate songs they had previously practiced in class. Each band performed four songs, with a new lead singer every time.

Each performer flaunted their abilities, whether it was in singing, playing the guitar, drums or other instruments. Each band put their own spin on classic songs like “Hit the Road, Jack,” “Only You” and “Tutti Frutti” using their unique vocals. Soon, many in the audience were on their feet, swaying and clapping along to the beat.

Though the performances were impressive, the process to achieve this level of skill was not easy. According to Abad,  a contemporary music professor, students received three songs to practice and perfect each week. Students consistently practiced, performed and received feedback before the showcase, where they would perform their final work.

The showcase was their first major performance, and as Abad mentioned, a major obstacle to overcome for the student musicians at the event.

Though performing is hard work, pop music students thoroughly enjoyed the process. This program helped students discover and establish their love for music and performance.

Elshaddai Mulugeta, a sophomore majoring in communication and popular music, said the unique format of the class gave her hands-on knowledge of the music industry.

“It’s crazy to be part of this,” Mulugeta said. “It’s cool that our midterms are performances.”

As someone who always wanted to pursue music, Mulugeta pursued the pop music program in addition to studying communication a year after coming to USC. In this class, Mulugeta stuck through the rigorous three songs-per-week routine, progressively polishing her skills.

Her hard work paid off. At the showcase, Mulugeta and the rest of her class belted out powerful melodies and instrumentals while the crowd cheered for them.

“The energy was so surreal — today was definitely a good day,” Mulugeta said. “If you follow your passions, you never know where they can lead you.”