4 Recipes To Try On Your Next Camping Trip

As USC students, we have the opportunity to camp at incredible sites around California. There are campgrounds all over the state at spots like Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Black Mountain, and Death Valley to name just a few. These places have amazing scenery and provide a break from South Central. The only thing that could improve this camping experience? Delicious food! Everyone can benefit from new campfire food ideas to cook on your next camping trip in the great outdoors. Below are four simple, mouth-watering recipes that can take your camping trip to the next level.

Photo courtesy of Taste and Bite

Photo courtesy of Taste and Bite

Campfire Burritos:

Ingredients:

• 1 pound taco meat
  • 1 cup cooked white rice
  • ½ cup shredded cheese
  • ¼ cup salsa verde
  • 4 burrito-sized flour tortillas (10”)
  • ½ cup pico de gallo
  • 4 foil sheets

Directions: Fill each flour tortilla with ¼ of the taco meat, rice, cheese and salsa. Roll halfway, fold over ends and continue rolling into burrito. Wrap the burrito in foil. Cook the burrito over coals (not the main flame) for 3 minutes, flip and cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and serve.

Photo courtesy of Food Network

Photo courtesy of Food Network

Baked Potato Boat:

Ingredients:

• 3 Baked Potatoes
  • 9 Strips of Bacon, cooked
  • Cooked Ham
  • Sharp Cheddar Cheese
  • Stick of Butter

Directions: Take 3 Baked Potatoes and cut 6 equally sized segments across the potato (not all the way through). Add small pieces of bacon, ham, and the cheese in each segment. Lay each potato out on a piece of tin foil. Butter on the tops of each potato. Seal up the potato in the Tin Foil. Cook for about 20 minutes on grill or fire.

Photo courtesy of Dirty Gourmet

Photo courtesy of Dirty Gourmet

Quesadillas:

Ingredients:

• 4 medium flour tortillas
  • 2 (8oz) chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
  • 1 jar Tostitos salsa con queso
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese

Directions: Spread 1 Tbsp salsa con queso over one side of a tortilla. Place 1/4 cup chicken over the salsa con queso. Sprinkle ¼ cup black beans and ¼ cup cheese over the chicken. Fold other side of tortilla over to cover ingredients. Place on a piece of tin foil large enough to cover the quesadilla. Leave the ends open.Place the foiled quesadilla on directly over the campfire. Keep over fire to cheese is melted.

Photo courtesy of Rhodes Bread

Photo courtesy of Rhodes Bread

Curly Dogs:

Ingredients:

• Hot dogs
  • package of crescent rolls.  

Directions: Wrap the crescent roll around the hot dog and roast it until the dough is cooked and the hot dog is warm. It takes about 10 minutes for the dough to cook.