USG hosts annual Battle of the Bands event

Undergraduate Student Government’s Performing Arts Committee is set to host its third annual Battle of the Bands Friday in Tommy’s Place at 8 p.m. The night will feature performances from some of USC’s best talent, including Heartwood, The Nova Darlings and Spritely as they battle it out to be crowned USC’s best band.

Heartwood competed in last year’s Battle of the Bands and have recently been featured as Deli Magazine’s artist of the month in September. The band consists of frontman and multi-instrumentalist Michael Armstrong, guitarist Pat Rector, bassist Ameet Eini and drummer James Prinzi. The group has performed heavily around the Los Angeles area, and have released two single on Soundcloud including “Can’t You” and “Peace of Mind.” With their unique rock-and-roll sound, Heartwood will definitely set the bar high for the competition.

New to Battle of the Bands this year is The Nova Darlings, a rock group with core members Mackin Carroll on bass and vocals, Larry Scanniello on guitar and Carter Couron on drums. The group has previously released an EP entitled Songs for Felix, and have played throughout Southern California at venues like the Constellation Room at the Observatory, The Satellite, The Warehouse, The Mint and more. The Nova Darlings combine Carroll’s thoughtful and introspective lyrics with punk rock melodies and killer guitar solos, to make them a group to be reckoned with.

Lastly, defending their 2014 Battle of the Bands title is Spritely, back to compete, this time with some new music and a more polished sound. A project of lead singer Jillian Lavin, the band has recently released various singles, including “Disposable,” “Second Love” and “I Shouldn’t Need,” the latter gaining online attention from music blogs such as Ear To The Ground. The band also features Pat Rector on guitar, Philip Labes on bass, Michael Arrom on keys, Julian McClanahan on violin and Kiko Brenneisen on drums. Spritely recently announced that they will be releasing a new single, “A Little Bit Broken,” on Friday, which may make its way into their Battle of the Bands set. Their whimsical sounds and edgy lyrics have won over the audience before, and it may just happen again on Friday.

In addition to performances by some of USC’s best musicians, the event will also feature various blanket forts throughout Tommy’s Place. Attendees can hang out in the forts and each fort will have a musical theme, including jazz, country, rock, disco and psychedelic.

“We were hoping to create a more interactive event so that the audience can engage with the music and have fun on a more active level,” said Amanda Liaw, PAC Logistics Coordinator. “We’re also going to be placing laptops in the forts for audience members to vote for their favorite band.”

At the event there will be an online poll to choose the top two bands. The event will close with the audience will choosing the winner based on cheering. While all bands will receive PAC swag, the winners will receive a Pizza Studio gift card and title of USC’s Best Band.