Adoree’ Jackson nominated for Lott, Jim Thorpe awards

Junior three-way player Adoree’ Jackson was named a quarterfinalist for the Lott IMPACT Trophy and a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, both organizations announced Monday.

Jackson has 34 tackles this season including one tackle for loss. He leads the team in pass breakups with four, passes defended with six and fumbles recovered with two. Jackson also has two interceptions this year.

As a return man, Jackson has returned one punt as well as one kickoff for a touchdown and is seventh in the country in punt return average and kickoff return average, going for 15.5 yards and 31.7 yards, respectively.

The Jim Thorpe Award is given to the best defensive back in college football and is decided upon by Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame and Jim Thorpe Association. The Thorpe Award finalists represent eight conferences: Big Ten, SEC, Mountain West, Pac-12, ACC, Big-12, Independent and Conference USA.

Jackson is one of two players to be named a semifinalist from the Pac-12. He is joined by Washington junior defensive back Budda Baker.

The Lott IMPACT Trophy recognizes athletic accomplishments as well as personal character of the player. The award is given to the best defensive player who makes the greatest impact on their team both on and off the field. IMPACT is an acronym that stands for the qualities that this award highlights: integrity, maturity, performance, academics, community and tenacity.

Jackson is one of seven defensive backs on the list. Representing the Pac-12 once again along with Jackson is Baker.

Semifinalists for the Lott IMPACT Award will be announced on Nov. 9 and the four finalists will be announced on Nov. 30. The award will be presented at the Lott IMPACT Awards Banquet by Ronnie Lott on Dec. 11.

The three Thorpe Award finalists will be named on Nov. 21. The winner will be announced at the Home Depot College Awards Show which airs on ESPN on Dec. 8.