Dog Cafe hosts Halloween event with costumed pups

America’s first dog cafe is hosting its own spooky celebration during Halloween weekend. The event, called Coffee Cups and Costumed Pups, will begin on Saturday and continue until 7 p.m. Sunday at The Dog Cafe in Los Angeles. Guests will be able to interact with the cafe’s dogs in costume, while enjoying Halloween-themed drinks and goodies.

Photo from Dog Cafe LA It’s a ruff life · No terror, just terriers! This Halloween weekend The Dog Cafe will have costumed pups and coffee cups for guests looking to have a spectacularly spooky time with Halloween-themed goodies.

Photo from Dog Cafe LA
It’s a ruff life · No terror, just terriers! This Halloween weekend The Dog Cafe will have costumed pups and coffee cups for guests looking to have a spectacularly spooky time with Halloween-themed goodies.

The Dog Cafe opened its doors in early April of this year just south of Silver Lake, located inside a quaint strip mall. Since its soft opening, the cafe has gained national attention as the first  official dog cafe with a goal to revolutionize the dog adoption process.

Guests will be able to grab a cup of coffee or tea before settling in to lounge with the cafe’s canines. The cafe encourages personal interaction between individuals and rescue dogs with the hope that guests will open their hearts to adopting these canines into their home. The Dog Cafe’s website features over 15 pups currently seeking adoption. From puppies to adult canines, these furry friends hope to make a good impression on their potential owners.

For its Halloweekend event, The Dog Cafe will create a festive environment by putting its puppies in costume and offering special photo opportunities and costume contests. Guests are not required to wear a costume, but the cafe encourages animal-themed apparel for this celebration. Instead of bringing home a memorable photo with a pup, puppy-loving guests are able to inquire about adoption at the center.

As its first-ever Halloween celebration, the cafe intends to create a unique Halloween experience for all attendees through exclusive drinks and goods available only during the event. Its Facebook page hints at a special pumpkin spice latte drink alongside other surprises, like dog treats given to guests to hand out.

In addition to these seasonal goods, guests are also able to enjoy a variety of simple teas, coffees and lemonade from the normal cafe menu. The cafe does not serve food as a precautionary protection for its canines, but it serves drinks from brands like Grounds and Hounds Coffee Co. and Dogs Drink Coffee, which donate a portion of their proceeds to animal-friendly causes.

The Dog Cafe is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. for both walk-ins and reservations, but for this special occasion, online reservations are highly encouraged. There is a $10 online reservation fee for 55 minutes of playful interaction per guest.

The puppy-petting Halloween event welcomes all families with its kid-friendly atmosphere, but children under the age of 5 are unable to attend due to the cafe’s age policy. Unfortunately, guests are also not allowed to bring their own dogs, as the canines of the cafe may be sensitive or uncomfortable with outside dogs.

This Halloween weekend, the center promises “no fright, just delight,” with their 15 pup regulars present for playtime. Although these canines will be in costume for Halloween, The Dog Cafe aims to attract potential adopters through the seasonal event.  The dogs present in the cafe are usually those who have been in shelters the longest or at risk of being euthanized.

The cafe’s mission, besides providing a positive atmosphere for both dogs and humans to interact affectionately, is to find a caring home for their dogs. The center is also looking for volunteers who will be able to foster their rescues outside of business hours. These fosters will transport the canines to their homes after closing, provide for them a warm place to sleep and spend some quality relaxation time when they are not working at the cafe.

The Dog Cafe is located on 240 N. Virgil Ave. in Silver Lake. The cafe is open from Wednesday to Saturday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekly for lonely guests seeking a boost of caffeine accompanied by some canine friends.