Best L.A. Coffee Shops for Studying

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about Los Angeles it’s that people absolutely love coffee shops. The city has a variety of shops, and each has a unique vibe. It seems like all of these places are full of trendy, L.A. locals writing screenplays and drinking matcha. The area surrounding USC doesn’t have the largest selection of coffee shops, so I often go off campus. I’ve spent a lot of time researching options and finding the best study spots. Over my two years at USC, I’ve discovered some coffee shops with great vibes that definitely help increase my productivity. These shops remind me that going to school in Los Angeles has its benefits. Below is a list of my five favorite spots.

Photo courtesy of Eater L.A.

Photo courtesy of Eater L.A.

Blue Bottle – Culver City

This coffee shop is a short twenty minute metro ride away from USC. It is located in a shopping center called The Platform. Blue Bottle itself has a wide variety of seating options. You can sit on the stairs, at a table outside or on ottoman seats upstairs. Blue Bottle has great coffee and a variety of delicious pastries.

Photo courtesy of Eater L.A.

Photo courtesy of Eater L.A.

Dinosaur Coffee – Silverlake

This Silverlake coffee shop is bright and well-decorated. As for study space, there are small tables out front, one communal table in the back, and some elevated spots at the coffee bar. The coffee here is high quality and they also offer an assortment of baked goods.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

Groundworks – Santa Monica

Groundworks in Santa Monica is one of the best study spots for people who want to get out of South Central. Without traffic, it’s about a 20-30 minute drive. You can also take the metro here. Groundworks is a small coffee shop, but they have a large collection of drinks and food. Their drinks menu is extensive and includes organic teas and lemonade. Their food menu has everything from grilled cheese to poke bowls.

Photo courtesy of Eater L.A.

Photo courtesy of Eater L.A.

Verve – DTLA

If you want a close L.A. coffee shop, look no further than Verve Coffee Roasters. It’s a hip study spot with a communal table, small tables along the wall and outside work space. It has a great atmosphere, and a wall outside is fully covered in live vegetation. Along with coffee, Verve offers food and juice.

Photo courtesy of L.A. is my Beat

Photo courtesy of L.A. is my Beat

Blu Elefant Cafe – DTLA

This is a cozy cafe decked in wall art and other vintage decorations. The cafe has a bohemian vibe that will make you forget you’re in the middle of downtown. If you’re looking for a fun and different place to crank out homework, try Blu Elefant.