USC College Democrats support Hillary Clinton and her vision for America

screen-shot-2016-11-01-at-11-51-33-pmOn Nov. 8, I will be voting in a presidential election for the first time. To all those people who think that this election is crazy and don’t know who to vote for, I want to let you know that I understand completely and I could go on and on about how weird this election cycle is, but for time’s sake, I urge you to vote for the most qualified and prepared presidential candidate to lead our country. And that candidate is Hillary Clinton.

Now, that doesn’t mean that I think she’s a flawless candidate. Clinton has been scrutinized in the public eye for quite some time now, as First Lady of Arkansas, First Lady of the United States, a U.S. Senator of New York and Secretary of State. These are not easy jobs, and she has made mistakes. I’m not denying that. But I don’t think she would be human if she didn’t make mistakes.

I am voting for Hillary Clinton because she will fight for the entire spectrum of Americans, not just a select group or subset of society. Her vision for America is a country that champions its unique differences and supports other individuals regardless of race, national origin, gender, religious belief, sexual orientation, etc. Whether it’s proving more tax reliefs to working class families and cutting taxes for small businesses to grow, or cutting interest rates so that college students will be able to tackle student debt, or offering a full and equal path to citizenship or promoting naturalization, Clinton has fought for and will continue to fight for every group in society and ensure that all our voices are heard. Her policies outline effective solutions and ways to make America inclusive to everyone. It is only through promoting inclusion and unity that we can move forward and progress as a nation.

I am voting for Hillary Clinton because she understands that climate change is real and that we must take action to combat other environmental issues such as deforestation, global warming and ocean resource depletion. As an environmentalist and vegan myself, I want a president who recognizes the threat that climate change poses to our everyday lives and works toward leaving a sustainable planet for our future generations. Hillary has proposed concrete policies for addressing some of the most pressing environmental threats, whereas Donald Trump continuously denies that climate change exists, calling it “a hoax perpetuated by the Chinese.” Climate change is real, and we need a president who has a plan to tackle it.

On Nov. 8, you have the power to make your voice heard and make a statement about what kind of country you want to see in the coming years. Voting for Donald Trump is equivalent to setting back all the progress that Democrats have worked tirelessly on during these past few years, including marriage equality, affordable healthcare and gun violence prevention. Voting for Donald Trump entails normalizing sexist remarks toward women, being complacent with racial slurs against people who don’t quite fit the mold of “being American” and dividing a nation that has embarked on so much progress to incorporate compassion in its domestic and foreign policies. The America I want to see is a nation that celebrates diversity and works for everyone, instead of a nation that promulgates fear, resentment and pitting people against each other. Hillary Clinton is the only candidate who can bring about a positive vision for our country, and I am proud to say that I’m with her.

Jessica Yu

President, USC College Democrats