Cirque ’SC returns for third annual aerial performance

The USC Performing Arts Committee, a branch of Undergraduate Student Government, will host the third annual Cirque ’SC, an aerial and acrobatic show on campus. Students can spend Friday night under the stars as PAC presents its largest event of the year, which will feature carnival games, prizes, acrobatic stunts and the unique talents of Dream World Cirque.

Photo courtesy of Performing Arts Committee Dream come true · Cirque ’SC will feature L.A.-based group Dream World Cirque. The cirque artists have a strong reputation in the entertainment industry, having appeared in a variety of television shows, music festivals and venues in  Southern California, including USC.

Photo courtesy of Performing Arts Committee
Dream come true · Cirque ’SC will feature L.A.-based group Dream World Cirque. The cirque artists have a strong reputation in the entertainment industry, having appeared in a variety of television shows, music festivals and venues in Southern California, including USC.

Dream World Cirque is a collective of circus artist that perform throughout the L.A. area. The company was created by aerial artist Jena Carpenter with the idea of providing an innovative space for Cirque performers and creating a platform to push the boundaries of live performance. Dream World Cirque achieves this with their interactive shows that include aerial silks, contortion, hoops, juggling, and stilts, as well as live original music, LED props and electrifying costumes.

Since the company’s inception, they have gained much popularity, making appearances on TV shows such as Grey’s Anatomy, Vegas, The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, 90210 and more. In addition to on-screen performances, the company has extensive experience performing live, from events like Lightning in a Bottle, 4th of July at the Queen Mary in Long Beach and the VIZIO Holiday Party at Marconi Auto Museum.

Likewise, Dream World Cirque has performed at USC’s Cirque ’SC for the past two years, each time wowing the crowd with their innovative stunts. Last year, the troupe changed its routine, bringing in a new contortion platform for the finale that left attendees in awe.

This year, Cirque ’SC seeks to inspire its audiences with more groundbreaking acts.

“11:11 Make a Wish is the theme, and it worked out because the date is on Nov. 11. We want attendees to have a magical time,” said Sally Yoo, the co-director of tPAC. “Dream World Cirque is going to have a lot of LED lights ,and this will tie in with the glowsticks that we’re providing for the attendees. That will hopefully create a magical ambiance to tie in with the theme.”

Cirque ’SC will also feature several carnival booths with paint darts, ladder ball, colorful sand, a fortune teller and a photo booth, as well as free popcorn, cotton candy and hot chocolate to tie into the carnival theme. After playing the games, attendees can redeem their winning tickets for fun prizes or food from sponsors like Pocky, Hubert’s Lemonade, Smashbox and Noosa Yoghurt.

PAC is a division of USG’s Program Board that works to “bring the best of the arts to USC,” ranging from music, theater, dance, film, poetry and more.

Cirque ’SC will take place at 7 p.m. on Nov. 11 in McCarthy Quad. The event is free and open to the public.