Daily Trojan’s Daily Poet: Hesitation

This week is a continuation of last week’s poems, except some of them venture into feelings of hesitation. When you are falling for someone very quickly, it can be scary to continue. There is hesitation despite the fact that you know these feelings are certain. Eventually, you come to the conclusion that the relationship is real and isn’t something that you should hesitate about. It is real, and you realize that you shouldn’t stop yourself from pursuing it.
Steven Vargas | Daily Trojan

Steven Vargas | Daily Trojan

The hesitation is first shown in “Race Car.” The poem discusses how things were moving quickly and I didn’t want it all to end. I have to continue to fuel the relationship to keep it going, and the second I hesitate to fuel it, the car will stop. However, I don’t want it to stop, and I know that for something this precious, I can’t let the fuel run out.

Steven Vargas | Daily Trojan

Steven Vargas | Daily Trojan

Steven Vargas | Daily Trojan

Steven Vargas | Daily Trojan

In “This is real,” I wrote about how I realized that the relationship is real and it isn’t something I should fear. Despite how much I hesitated, I always remember why I shouldn’t.

Steven Vargas | Daily Trojan

Steven Vargas | Daily Trojan

“Mindless” is an experimental poem I did that follows the same topic. It is about how I got so familiar with the relationship that I couldn’t imagine my life without it; I didn’t want it to crash.

Steven Vargas | Daily Trojan

Steven Vargas | Daily Trojan

unnamed-5

Steven Vargas | Daily Trojan

One reason why I worry about maintaining relationships — both platonic and romantic relationships — is because of time and conflicting schedules. We all have our own lives, and I do not like to have a relationship interfere with them. In “Everyday” I wrote about this feeling. There are times when I want time to freeze so that I can keep these relationships, but we all have our own responsibilities that do not wait.

unnamed-6

Steven Vargas | Daily Trojan

The last poem, “People,” is about how we understand other people. We can try and write about them in books, but sometimes words aren’t enough to describe people or how we feel about them. We are too abstract to be put into words.