Special Events Committee to host a night of magic

Photo from Warner Bros. Entertainment Do you believe in magic? · USC students will have the opportunity to dress up as their favorite character at Special Events Committee’s “Lumos!”, as well as participate in fun activities such as caricatures and giveaways.

Photo from Warner Bros. Entertainment
Do you believe in magic? · USC students will have the opportunity to dress up as their favorite character at Special Events Committee’s “Lumos!”, as well as participate in fun activities such as caricatures and giveaways.

With the highly anticipated release of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in theaters next week, the Harry Potter community has been teeming with anticipation. In the midst this excitement, the USC Special Events Committee is bringing to campus a night filled with magic.

The event, “Lumos!: A Night in a World of Magic,” will take place in McCarthy Quad on Saturday starting at 6 p.m. and is open to any member of the student body.

It boasts a variety of magical activities and free trinkets available to all attendees, from a costume contest to wizarding treats.

For the many Potterheads in the USC community, this will be a chance to dress up as a favorite character while receiving free goodies. The Committee has foreshadowed various themed treats, such as a free wizard wand and an assortment of sweets.

The event will host a giveaway, courtesy of ice cream truck Blue Nova. It will feature booths with DIY activities that are Harry Potter-themed, and guests can create their own Whizzing Bath Bombs, Mini Broom Ornaments and Howlers.

This night attempts to celebrate J.K. Rowling’s movie release while bringing a magical environment to the student body. The line-up of activities the committee has revealed includes a costume contest, magic show courtesy of Shah Magic and wizard caricatures. In addition to Shah Magic, there will be other performers for the night’s entertainment.

Attendees will be able to turn themselves into a caricature of a witch or wizard, as well as create their own personalized trading card. There is also a limited amount of free goodies that will be sure to excite any Harry Potter fan. The event will bring chocolate snitches, butterbeer, jelly slugs and special event stickers to guests.

Although Halloween was last month, the event encourages students to dress up as their favorite characters and flaunt their creative costumes. The first place winner of the contest will receive a complete set of Harry Potter books, the second the DVD collection and third place a Mischief Managed mug. In addition, every guest who checks into Lumos! with a costume will be eligible to win a House robe or tie at the event’s closing.

There will be three food trucks present that evening, offering a unique array of selections for guests to enjoy with the magical atmosphere. Catch 56 caters British fish and chips while providing a European touch to the night’s menu. The Berlin Truck offers gourmet sausages and grilled cheese, and Blue Nova caters to attendees’ sweet tooth with their rolled ice cream.

Lumos!: A Night of Magic will start at 6 p.m. and last for three mystical hours until 9 p.m., open for entry to any student with a USC ID.