6 Things You’ll Understand If You’re Obsessed With Avocados

If you live in California, you’re probably aware of the avocado shortage that’s heavily affecting avocado lovers everywhere. Due to a worker’s strike in Mexico and an exceptionally dry season in California, many growers have had limited avocados to sell this season. The shortage of avocados, or “guacapocalypse” as some people have begun to call it, is a huge upset for tons of people. These times are a struggle for avocado fans like myself, but we will survive. Avocados are not only delicious — they are also packed with fiber, potassium, and heart-healthy fatty acids. They really are one of the most versatile foods. Below is a list of things you’ll understand and relate to if you are truly obsessed with avocados.

1. You know the struggle of having to guess whether the avocado will be perfectly ripe or brown. The moment of truth comes when you cut it open. There’s nothing better than a perfectly ripe avocado, yet there’s nothing worse than an avocado speckled with brown. 
    Photo courtesy of Gardening Know How

Photo courtesy of Gardening Know How

2. Along the same lines, you also know the struggle of saving half of an avocado and watching it turn brown within minutes. Sometimes a recipe calls for half an avocado so you save the rest. Flash forward what feels like two minutes and your pristine avocado has developed brown spots. 
    Photo courtesy of Tammy's Recipes

Photo courtesy of Tammy’s Recipes

3. You are willing to dish out extra money for a side of avocado or guacamole at restaurants. Whether it’s a scoop of guac at chipotle or avocado slices added to your salad, you just have to add it. Admit it, you’d pay up to four dollars extra because avocado is a crucial part of any good meal. 

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

4. You typically planning your meals around when avocados will be ripe. Taco Tuesday? More like Taco Wednesday, because that’s when the avocados will be ripe. That side of guacamole needs to be at its best. 

Photo courtesy of Simply Recipes

Photo courtesy of Simply Recipes

5. You know the incredible feeling of eating an avocado smashed on a perfectly toasted piece of bread. If you live in Los Angeles, you are especially aware that avocado toast is a breakfast staple. There are delicious avocado toasts all over the city at places like Zinc Cafe, Blacktop Coffee and Sqirl. The hard part is choosing where to go. 

Photo courtesy of Simply Delicious

Photo courtesy of Simply Delicious

6. You eat avocado for every single course, including dessert. Avocado is one of those foods that you can pair with just about anything. You already probably eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner so why leave out dessert? Yep, chocolate avocado cake does exist, and it’s incredible.
Photo courtesy of Redbook

Photo courtesy of Redbook