Rivalry week takes over at USC football practice

With a new No. 13 spot in the College Football Playoff rankings, the Trojans kept their focus on the field ahead of their rivalry matchup against UCLA at the Rose Bowl on Saturday. The Trojans kept practice light, with just shoulderpads, but focused on honing their game plan.

Rivalry Week

Even though USC’s (7-3) coaches and players have tried to maintain level heads about the rivalry game with the Bruins (4-6), no one can deny the weight of this game.

“This is the next game for us, and it’s an important game for us. We have to be able to take this game and treat it just like we did the entire month of October and the past two games in November,” head coach Clay Helton said. “We understand it’s a special game for both universities as well as this city and we’re honored to be a part of it. It’s one of the greatest rivalries in the country.”

For many of the players, the rivalry runs as deep as what color players and coaches wear to meetings and practice.

“The other day we had a player who was wearing blue and at least six guys snatched his shirt off,” junior wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster said. “It’s that serious.”

Smith-Schuster said that the coaches talked to the team today to prep them for rivalry week and to help them refocus so they don’t get distracted by all the action off the field, and Helton confirmed that this is one of his biggest focuses heading into practice this week.

“Rivalry games are so awesome for college football and for our fans and that’s one of the challenges this week is to keep your kids focused,” Helton said.

Shifting focus

The Trojans’ recent success can’t be denied after knocking off then No. 4 Washington on the road last week.

One of the hottest teams in the Pac-12, USC’s six-game win streak has coincided with the team refocusing and trusting each other according to Smith-Schuster.

“After the Utah game we had a team meeting and from then on we made a commitment to one another, the staff and everyone who is a part of this program, that we’re going to put trust into one another,” Smith-Schuster said. “As you can see now, it’s actually working, we just have to keep it going.”

Lotts of love

Junior three-way player Adoree’ Jackson was named the Lott IMPACT Trophy Player of the Week for the second time this season it was announced on Tuesday. Jackson played a critical role in the Trojans’ 26-13 win over the Huskies including two interceptions. Jackson also had three tackles and one pass defended.

On special teams, Jackson returned three kicks for 59 yards and recovered a blocked field goal 17 yards. He also played on offense and earned a first down for USC on an eight yard run.

Jackson is tied at the top of the Pac-12 for interceptions with four this year.

Last week, Jackson was named  semifinalist for the Lott IMPACT Trophy.

Injury Report

Helton had a long list of injured players, but he expects most of the players to be available by Saturday.

On the defensive side of the ball, junior defensive tackle Josh Fatu, who is battling an ankle injury, is 50/50 at best for Saturday, Helton said. Redshirt senior defensive tackle Stevie Tu’ikolovatu and sophomore cornerback Iman Marshall were limited for a knee and hamstring issue, respectively.

Helton said junior cornerback Jonathan Lockett is working himself back from a hip injury and he held sophomore linebacker Porter Gustin out of practice to rest his ankle. Junior safety John Plattenburg also did not practice because he was sick.

Offensively there were far less injured Trojans. Helton said sophomore wide receiver Deontay Burnett was battling through a sprained knee. Sophomore running back Ronald Jones II was limited because of a knee bruise.

Haden hospitalized

Former athletic director Pat Haden was hospitalized Tuesday morning after experiencing lightheadedness. USC sports information director Tim Tessalone said Haden was alert and talkative.