Save Tommy Night to bring excitement for UCLA game

As the USC vs. UCLA game quickly approaches, Residential Student Government is getting USC students hyped to beat the Bruins with their annual event, Save Tommy Night. The carnival occurs right before the USC vs. UCLA game and features a wide variety of activities and entertainment to raise spirits and school morale before the big game. This year’s event will happen this Friday night in Alumni Park from 6 p.m.  to 10 p.m. and will feature games, activities, food and live music from some of USC’s best talent.

Photo courtesy of Leo Xia Musical medley · Leo Xia (above) is one of the many musical acts at Save Tommy Night. Other acts include Ladell, Slam SCene and Roxxy Floyd.

Photo courtesy of Leo Xia
Musical medley · Leo Xia (above) is one of the many musical acts at Save Tommy Night. Other acts include Ladell, Slam SCene and Roxxy Floyd.

RSG throws a variety of events each year from the Highlighter Dance to Spirits at Troy, along with various events and initiatives throughout the residential community.

Save Tommy Night will feature a wide variety of performances, from spoken word to acapella. The night will include acoustic acts from singer-songwriters such as Livey Beha, Carrie Zhang, McCall Kimball, Leo Xia and Julia Ryan, who will grace the evening with thoughtful lyrics, soothing melodies and stand out vocals.

Also performing will be USC’s East Asian Acappella team the Trogons, who work to expose USC students to East Asian cultures. The Trogons have performed throughout the L.A. area, including the Moon Festival Celebration in Irvine, The Los Angeles Lantern Festival and more.

Additionally, Save Tommy Night will feature two spoken word artists, Alex Luu and Maxwell Suzuki, from Slam SCene, formerly known as the USC Slam Poetry Team.

While Suzuki is new to the team, Luu is a slam veteran who has had his work featured in publications like The Huffington Post, Write About Now and All Def Poetry. Luu has performed in various competitions throughout the country and is currently a poet ambassador for Get Lit: Words Ignite.

Other student performers include Ladell, Livey Beha, Julia Ryan McLane and Carrie Zingers.

Finally closing out the night will be an electrifying performance from Roxxy Floyd, a high energy band comprised of USC students and alumni. Roxxy Floyd plays a variety of genres including rock, pop, soul and more, but defines themselves as a genreless band. The band has performed in various clubs in Los Angeles, such as the Whiskey-A-Go-Go, the Viper Room, Molly Malone’s, The Mint, Amplyfi and the Chain Reaction.

RSG has not announced the games and activities for the night, but previous years have featured a bean bag toss, a photobooth, a giant hamster wheel and more. The event will also feature food from the Boba Truck as well as the Grilled Cheese Truck.

Save Tommy Night is a free event open to all USC students.