Engemann promotes Mental Health Awareness month

Daily Trojan file photo

The Engemann Student Health Center promoted National Depression Screening Day Thursday to raise mental health awareness. The mental health screening is available on the Engemann website.

The free online program was created by the Screening for Mental Health organization in an effort to educate on the importance of seeking help if one exhibits symptoms associated with a mood or mental disorder.

About 75 percent of college students with mental health problems do not seek help for them, according to Engemann.

The mental health screening determines whether surveyees need to reach out to a mental health professional or doctor for a proper evaluation. After completion, the questionnaire shows results, recommendations and referral to treatment resources, depending on the result.

According to Screening for Mental Health, NDSD is held annually on the Thursday of the first week in October through hospitals, colleges and groups nationwide.

NDSD is also a part of Mental Health Awareness Month, each October.

The Academic Culture Assembly runs events through the end of the month to increase mental health awareness and promote the services available for students on campus.

“Mental Health Awareness Month helps creating open dialogue about good mental health including self-care, proper habits, coping skills,” said Kelly Greco, assistant director of outreach and prevention services at Engemann Counseling Services.

The month-long programming aims to provide a space for students to discuss the complexity of mental health and advocate for the expansion of mental health resources on campus.

At the end of the month, Engemann and other organizations will offer resources for wellness and fitness like free yoga classes, flu shots and therapy dogs.

ACA will also hold panel discussions covering topics like how succeed at school with mental health issues as well as a mental health resource fair on Oct. 24.