SDA’s “Twelfth Night” revolves around love, obsession

Photo courtesy of USC School of Dramatic Arts

Love, betrayal and deceit are key ingredients for a dramatic piece of art. Each of these vices is present in Shakespeare’s play Twelfth Night. Now, the show is coming to USC, brought to life by theatre students pursuring bachelors of fine arts at the School of Dramatic Arts.

Twelfth Night stars junior Caroline Haskins as Viola, a young woman who finds herself shipwrecked on the island of Illyria. After being separated from her twin brother Sebastian, Viola disguises herself as a man, using the alias “Cesario.” She meets Duke Orsino, who employs her, telling Viola of his love for a woman named Olivia. However, Olivia, falls for Viola, thinking she’s a man.

Olivia, played by junior Li Stebner, smitten with Viola, has her own subplot that is equally as chaotic and messy as the main narrative.

“[My character] falls in love with Cisario, who is a girl,” Stebner said. “I fall in love with [her] by accident. Meanwhile, there are crazy things going on with Malvolio.”

Malvolio, played by juniot Milo Rechler works for Olivia. According to Rechler, he “work[s] for her and is in love with her.” Malvolio and Viola see tension as a result of Olivia’s love for her. With unrequited love at every turn, the chaos and lies spark a comedic tension mastered only by Shakespearean theater.

The themes of obsession and love permeate throughout the show. Haskins describes the show as being about “obsession versus true love, and the masks that we encounter.” The play shows many people pretending to be someone they’re not or performing to please others. The drama is evidently a consequence of lying and desperation for love.

Although Twelfth Night is centuries old, its themes are universal and continue to resonate with audiences of all backgrounds.

“It relates to the modern world today because still people wear masks or try to be someone they’re not,” Haskins said. “True love forms when you’re your truest self and not trying to be something you’re not.”

Junior Ian Riley, who plays Orsino, agreed with Haskins’ sentiments.

The show seeks to expose how true love is achieved through comedy and an over-the-top narrative.

The message of the show promotes self-acceptance as a catalyst for true love. The cast and crew have worked throughout the semester to honor the play and bring a new, fresh energy to the story.

Twelfth Night opens this Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at Bing Theatre. Tickets are available for purchase at the USC Ticket Office at a discounted student price of $8.