Vanessa Lopez travels on USC’s budget

Vanessa Lopez | Daily Trojan

Led around the globe by passion and wanderlust, in 2016 alone, senior Vanessa Lopez traveled to six different countries, all while balancing six different classes and five different jobs. In the coming year, she’ll travel to eight different countries, including France, the country she is currently studying abroad in. Lopez has devoted her time here at USC to taking full advantage of all the resources and money given to her so she can travel the world.

But Lopez wasn’t always full of  wanderlust. She began her time at USC at the Viterbi School of Engineering, studying computer science and computer engineering, along with a minor in theatre. But her life quickly changed after spending a Maymester in Japan, where she took an American Studies class with a professor who was an advocate in inspiring first-generation college students to travel the world and find what they are passionate about. Lopez suddenly realized her true passion was traveling, and upon her return to USC, she immediately changed her major to law, history and culture.

“As a low-income student, I [really] could not have traveled without the help of scholarships, grants and fellowships,” Lopez said. “It allowed me to travel for a low cost, or even [for] free. I also traveled a lot though Maymester, Problems Without Passport courses and alternative Spring and Winter Break programs.”

And at the end of each USC Abroad Program, Lopez would take the opportunity to independently travel to neighboring countries. For example, when Lopez stayed in Hong Kong for 10 weeks, she also traveled to China and Thailand. Ultimately, within her four years in college, she has traveled to nearly 15 different countries, all pdaid for through various school fundings.

Her vibrant, observant nature led to pick up on the cultural norms of regions, and began evaluating the stark contrasts between their world and the one she grew up in. Lopez herself was born and raised in South Los Angeles, and was a part of the Neighborhood Academic Initiative, a USC program that encourages students within the community to go to college.

“Being Hispanic, I have seen my fair share of racism [here in America], but I have been able to see how I am privileged in many ways,” Lopez said.

While studying abroad in India, she was stunned to see the  pronounced gender divide.

“In the area I was in, you would never see women on the street and when you did, they would wear traditional Indian garments,” Lopez said. “Fully covered. Then, you would see men dressed in completely modern clothing. It was such a contrast.Socioeconomic status, racism and gender plays an enormous role in how society sees people, and their culture and customs reflect that — what they believe is right and wrong.”

But none of this would be possible if it wasn’t for Lopez’s relentless dedication to securing funding. For each trip, Lopez applied to either one fellowship, grant or scholarship.

“The main scholarship which allowed [me] to travel during the summer was the USC Global Fellowship,” Lopez said. “[And all] of the fellowships I got went directly to travel, either for internships abroad if I took courses abroad, or if I was volunteering.”

In addition, she also applied for Norman Topping, a scholarship which gives funding to USC students up to two times over the course of their four years here. Within Norman Topping is a supplemental exceptional funding, which gives additional aid to students who wish to do more.

“I used both of my fundings my first two years of my college life,” Lopez said. “I used it first for Japan trip, which covered everything from the flight, the hotel and every travel expense in Japan, and half of my meals. I applied for two exceptional funds, I applied for grants through the volunteer centers; I applied for fellowships through USC; and I applied for other scholarships like Surf and Soar, which is through Dornsife.”

USC provides countless opportunities for all students to achieve and strive for the passions, and use their talents to achieve what they wish during their time at the University. All the student has to do is put in the time and effort to seek out these opportunities.

“A lot of students either just don’t know, or they don’t apply for it,” Lopez said. “So, there is a good chance [you] can get a scholarship, grant or funding. Each scholarship, grant or funding I have applied for, I have been able to get. The worst you can get is a no.”

1. Friend of Ron
    Friend of Ron says:

Mr. Davis – Does anyone proofread your work? Maybe they should

Ms. Lopez – You’re welcome