An Insider’s Guide To Santa Monica

Photos courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

If you arrive at the Santa Monica Pier early enough on a Saturday morning, you can hear a violinist you’d swear was Juilliard-trained playing as the first fishing lines are cast into the vast ocean — the all-consuming smell of salt and fresh fish wafting into the cool Los Angeles air before dawn.

If you hit the classic spots — the Pier, Third Street Promenade, “ShoreBar” — at the right, off-peak times, you may be pleasantly surprised by the lack of people, but it’s the off-the-beaten-path treasures that will really catch your eye and capture your heart.

In its purest elemental form, Santa Monica is still a small beach town. Under the guise of tourist attractions and fancy finger foods, you can still find the crux and core of the city. The first non-indigenous explorer to set foot in this beautiful area was Gaspar de Portola, who set up camp at what is now the intersection of Barrington and Ohio avenues. After the monumental Mexican-American War, U.S. government sovereignty in California officially began on Feb. 2, 1848. Once the new railroad connected Santa Monica to Los Angeles in the 1870s, the city boomed.

Today, long-established shops and new pop-ups alike line this Western beachfront city.

Photos courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Check out the Santa Monica Rings at any of the small beaches that line the California coast.  Even if you’re not a Cirque du Soleil performer, give it a shot or just watch in amazement as  a modern-day Jeff Spicolis wows you.  Don’t miss the spectacular sunsets from the cliffs in Palisades Park.

Stop at Chez Jay, a Santa Monica institution.  From the old neon sign to the peanut shells underfoot, this no-frills landmark has been around for 50 years. You’ll get a quick breather from your classic bougie bars and star-studded L.A. clubs.

Want to go back further in time? How about a bite at Snug Harbor? With great pancakes and omelettes, it’s been in the same spot since World War II. It’s a splendid, little-known diner that stays hidden next to the hype of the famous Bru’s Wiffle.

Thirsty for something stronger than lemonade?  Pop into the Speak Easy or JP’s. They’re as divey as dive bars come, but friendlier than Cheers and you can definitely “come as you are.”  No shoes, no shirt, no problem! Pop on by after a day at the beach.

Photos courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

If you need to burn some calories, you can run or bike on The Strand for absolutely stunning views of the Pacific all the way down to the Malibu coastline.

It’s a postcard come to life.

Next time you’re in the famous city of Santa Monica, try something new. Take an insider’s glance. You’ll be surprised at the sweet, little niches of culture and diversity you can find in the nooks and crannies of the city.