Senior administrator David Carrera no longer at USC, under Title IX investigation

Photo courtesy of Keck School of Medicine

USC Vice President of Advancement and Health Sciences Development David Carrera is no longer employed by the University as of last week, USC officials confirmed Wednesday.

Gretchen Means, executive director of the Office of Equity and Diversity, said in a statement to the Daily Trojan that her office opened an investigation into Carrera after receiving complaints, during which he was put on administrative leave.

The Los Angeles Times reported on Wednesday that Carrera was being investigated for sexual harassment allegations. USC officials did not confirm the report.

“We do not tolerate behavior that violates our strict policy and take appropriate disciplinary action when it does,” Means said in a statement to the Daily Trojan.

The Times reported that USC received five complaints about Carrera’s behavior, and that the investigation into Carrera was launched in August, following the Times’ July report on the illicit lifestyle of former Keck School of Medicine Dean Carmen Puliafito.

USC appointed Carrera to the senior position in August 2014. He oversaw the development of Keck Medicine of USC affiliate hospitals and the advancement of academic programs and research centers for the Keck School of Medicine.

USC did not respond to multiple requests for comment on whether Carrera resigned from his position or if he was fired.

Means said that the investigation regarding Carrera is still ongoing.

Rohit Varma, Puliafito’s successor, also resigned from his deanship last week. Varma’s resignation occurred on the same day The Times revealed he was disciplined after a sexual harassment allegation surfaced in 2003.

“Discrimination and harassment have no place at USC,” Means said in the statement. “The investigation is still ongoing and will continue until we fully complete our findings.”

EDITOR’S NOTE: This post has been updated for clarity.