Trustee roski given circle of honor award

Photo from USC News

Chairman and Trustee Edward Roski Jr. was awarded the Circle of Honor Award from the Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation this weekend.

The Roski School of Fine Arts was renamed after him and his wife after they donated $23 million in 2006. Roski is also the co-owner of the Los Angeles Kings, Los Angeles Lakers and the STAPLES Center.

The Circle of Honor Award is the Medal of Honor Foundation’s most distinguished award. It acknowledges Americans who have made a contribution to the United States, and who demonstrate the principles of courage, sacrifice, service and patriotism, according to a Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation’s press release.

Roski is a Marine Corps veteran and received two Purple Hearts in Vietnam after serving from 1962 to 1966.

Roski initiated the Majestic Realty Foundation whose charitable giving and community outreach in Los Angeles focus on youth, family, education, health and violence prevention.

The Congressional Medal of Honor Society was chartered in 1958 by Congress to form a brotherhood among living Medal of Honor recipients to maintain the distinction of the Medal and promote citizenship in the youth.

“I’m deeply humbled by this recognition from the Medal of Honor Foundation,” Roski said at the awards ceremony. “It’s a real tribute to the patriotism, leadership and opportunity in our city.”