OPINION: When it comes to offensive costumes, just don’t do it

Art by Shideh Ghandeharizadeh | Daily Trojan

Cultural appropriation has been stitched into the fabric of Halloween and into the great American quilt. We cannot avoid it; there is no restitching; there is no unseaming. For now, we live with it, while wondering: How is it that we are so socially aware, yet so tone-deaf when it comes to the cultures of other people?

It’s understood that people will always find the cultures of other people fascinating. But too often Halloween revelers will dance between the lines of appropriation and appreciation, rarely with any consequence or thoughtful reflection. It’s tiring to have to constantly remind people that people are not costumes, and that the appropriation of other cultures is offensive.

Cultural appropriation occurs when the elements of one culture are taken by members of another culture, and then exploited for monetary gain, or simple fun. Halloween is often the peak of this phenomenon. The holiday comprises two different types of exploiters — those who sell the elements of other cultures as costumes, and those who buy them.

But this year, the tolerance for cultural appropriation is at an all-time low. As racial tension continues to increase, while the president is continuously threatening to deport millions of people, many will not forget those who voted for and against their existence within this country. People will remember those who spoke out for and against the strenuous factors such as racism and discrimination, which impact their day-to-day lives. These are factors whose existence often make no difference to those who decide to appropriate the cultures of other people. So the hypocrisy will sting a little bit more this year.

If you support a border wall between the United States and Mexico and deportation of millions of immigrants in this country, should you be wearing any sort of costume from Mexican, Middle Eastern or South Asian cultures? If you do not think black people are targeted and treated unfairly in this country, should you be dressing up as your favorite black rapper? Can you enjoy one without paying attention to the other? The answer is unclear.

The title of an article published by The New York Times in 2015 perfectly sums up one side of the debate on cultural appropriation — “Halloween Costume Correctness on Campus: Feel Free to be You, but Not Me.” People are not costumes, and it is disrespectful to treat them as such. People who pretend to be from a marginalized culture, or a figure from a marginalized group, will offend others. If you don’t hail from a certain culture, you cannot say whether the culture can or cannot be appropriated, or decide if it is offensive or not. Offensive stereotypes in general should always be off-limits. There is no joke in the stereotypes that have cost people their lives.

“I feel it’s frustrating to see minorities constantly being mistreated in our country but then people think it’s okay to pick and choose parts of our cultures to be cool and trendy,” said Patricia Quezada, a junior majoring in business administration. “And it’s annoying when people use parts of cultures that are sacred like religious things just for looks and they disrespect the culture they’re copying.”

People have the right to express themselves freely, whether it is offensive or not to other people. But, when they partake in exercising free speech through cultural appropriation, it has the real consequence of hurting others. It’s about those who have the privilege to partake in this right — those who can take off the costume at the end of the day, and those who cannot.

“I feel like if people are respecting my culture and addressing my culture when dressing up like Día de los Muertos, then it’s okay for me personally, because so many people do it now that I don’t think it’ll stop. It’s become a trend,” Quezada said. “But when people who do not respect the Latino communitydo it, it’s a problem.”

There are ways to appreciate the cultures of other people without being grotesque — because it is the grotesque nature of appropriating Halloween costumes that makes most of them offensive. For example, if you do decide to be Kanye West for Halloween, there is never the need for blackface. Ever. Why wear a stereotypical, over-sexualized costume from the culture of a marginalized group, when you can dress up like a blue Skittle instead? You would have just as much fun.

So, this Halloween, if you think what you are wearing will offend people, take it off. If you truly wish to dress up as someone from another culture, the best way is to research the correct way to be whatever it is you want to be. Don’t be something you can’t explain, or don’t understand. The tricky part is dancing between the lines of what is considered appropriation and appreciation. Know the limits. There is no clear line, but being too safe will not hurt you.