All the World’s a Screen

Isa Uggetti

@isauggetti

Isa Uggetti is a junior writing about film. His column, “All the World’s a Screen,” typically runs every other Monday.

Featured columns

All the World’s a Screen: Barry Jenkins and the single shot of love
If Jenkins’ single shots constantly reinforce the complexity of individual identities, then, quite naturally, it is very thrilling when two such people connect and the director allows us to see it.

All the World’s a Screen: Damian Chazelle pays blatant homage to his cinematic heroes
Growing up in the 21st century, while we are privileged to stream the work of classic directors, there are plenty of voices that are unique to our time, our generation.

All the World’s a Screen: Non-traditional double features for your streaming consideration
The double-feature is a practice long abandoned by movie theaters.

All the World’s a Screen: Guide to the 2020 Academy Award for Best Picture
While we ought to pay attention to what Hollywood thinks of itself, I believe that’s where our respect for the Academy Awards should end.

All the World’s a Screen: Ten best movies of the decade, according to the Daily Trojan staff
My goal in compiling this list is to emphasize, once again, that the most important issue when considering any movie is not what critics or voting bodies think but how your neighbor felt about it.

All the World’s a Screen: Martin Scorsese compels us to define ‘cinema’
Martin Scorsese’s comments about Marvel movies are about more than just his personal taste.

All the World’s a Screen: How ‘Parasite,’ ‘The Lighthouse’ and other movies are parables
“The Lighthouse” is not the best movie of the year, but at this point I don’t even want to talk about “best” and “worst” movies; I just want to talk about movies and what they have to say.

All the World’s a Screen: ‘Silence of the Lambs’ exemplifies what a spooky movie should be
In our sometimes-dull existence, a scary movie here and there is nice; if that movie can excite us in some way, even better! That’s why scary movies hold such a dear place in our culture.

All the World’s a Screen: Higher movie ticket prices don’t justify low-quality films
Listing out my expenses, I saw that my biggest category was entertainment — mainly going to the movies, no surprise there. I perused the websites of various theaters around the area eager for cheaper alternatives, but I found none.

All the World’s a Screen: The post-summer box office slump is worse than ever
I love movies, and I prove it by paying good money to see them. But, lately, it’s been a bit complicated: I haven’t been to the movies in about a month, haven’t really talked about them and haven’t written about them.

All the World’s a Screen: ‘Black Mirror’ returns with harsher cultural critique
As our consumerism worsens, the Internet — and all the entertainment within — becomes a space dedicated solely to attracting and holding its users’ attentions.

All the World’s a Screen: Concert films fuel our desire to witness historic performances
Where would we literally be without film’s ability to transport us places we would never go and insert us into times we never experienced?

All the World’s a Screen: The superhero genre has no kryptonite
All the world is a screen. But, nowadays, it seems all the screen shows is the superhero narrative.

All the World’s a Screen: Horror films are a paradox of attraction and repulsion
We pay them $13.50 a ticket to do their worst on us, and usually it is their worst.

All the World’s a Screen: ‘Green Book’s’ Best Picture win is instantly questionable
Sunday’s ceremony concluded on a sour note, as “Green Book” took Best Picture.

All the World’s a Screen: Best Picture is a showdown between popular and praised films
With just two weeks left until the 91st Academy Awards on Feb. 24, everyone who actually takes them seriously (including yours truly) is scrambling to watch (or rewatch) the nominated films.

All the World’s a Screen: This year’s Best Picture race is rife with cultural commentary
If the Academy Awards are meant to encapsulate the year in film, they’ve definitely tried their best this year.

All the World’s a Screen: Critics and fans represent two very different ways to watch movies
What fascinated me the most about this year, however, was not the political disputes behind these movies so much as the gaping chasm between the critiques of an average moviegoer and those of a film critic.