Stafon Johnson to file lawsuit against USC

Former USC tailback Stafon Johnson will file a lawsuit against USC 16 months after suffering a severe throat injury during a weightlifting accident, according to Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times.

Johnson’s attorney has called a press conference for Monday to announce the filing of a personal injury lawsuit against the school.

In September of 2009, Johnson dropped a barrel on himself while bench pressing in USC’s weight room, causing serious injuries to his throat and forcing him to be hospitalized for approximately three weeks. He missed the remainder of the season.

The Los Angeles native was signed as a free agent by the Tennessee Titans following last April’s NFL Draft, but an ankle injury sustained in a preseason game, ended his rookie season. He was relegated to the practice squad as a result.

1. John
    John says:

Is this idiot related to the other idot Reggie Bunch? This shows that the apple does not fall far from the STUPID TREE.

BAR THIS IDOT FROM USC FOREVER! ‘SC HAS TO TEACH THESE IDIOTS THERE IS PRICE FOR STUPIDITY.

2. John
    John says:

And he actually went got into USC? Obviously he was not much of a scholar! What a true idiot. I think the dumbell had the barbell fall on his head not his neck! Idiot!

USC GIVE THIS IDOT THE BOOT!!!

3. M
    M says:

I believe Stafon is a good kid but I believe, being young and naive, he is a victim. Someone close to him, whether a lawyer or family, probably convinced him to sue, as his NFL career looks dubious at best, and he, being young, is probably worried about his future. It’s easy to get to someone when they are anxious and desperate.

In reality, Stafon has no case against USC. USC did not force him to lift the weight, nor could they have done anything to prevent it. He had a spotter, but the incident happened so quickly (weight slipped from his hand and fell on his neck), that, unless the spotter was psychic or had superpower reflexes, he wouldn’t have been able to stop the weight from falling on Stafon’s neck.

It was an unfortunate accident, but things like this happen in life. It doesn’t always go as we planned. That does not give one the right to take from others, especially from an institution who has treated Stafon like family and provided nothing but the best for him.

I think whoever convinced Stafon that this is a good idea is greedy and should be ashamed of themselves. I am sure if Stafon was in financial trouble, simply asking for help from USC would have resulted in an action. Suing USC for life’s lemons is beyond disgraceful.

4. dane
    dane says:

But, if Mr. Johnson wasn’t part of USC football…he wouldn’t get the time of day from NFL scouts. You can’t bite the hand that feeds you. Take your lumps and man up. Look at Mark Sanchez and Clay Matthews, they’re doing awesome in the NFL. They makin’ dat chedda too. Where’s Reggie Bush at? oh yeah, he’s sidelined by injuries.

Go NY Jets!!!

5. Stafon
    Stafon says:

you guys are ingnorant. Just because he is sueing isnt because he hasnt had the great opporunity in the NFL yet. He will do awesome in time, but currently he has extremely bad bills and collections coming for him. What would you have him do, he needs to press a lawsuit to get promissary notes to pay for dr. bills that are taking him to collections. grow up and stop being so hurt because someone is trying to stay afloat, not because an extremely wealthy school is being rightfully sued.

Anon, you a moron, and that you wish hurt on others only shows how pathetic you are.

Sam, way to think the worst of people. You show real class.

• M
      M says:

They are not being rightfully sued. This is a frivolous lawsuit based on, “I need the money and will get it in any way I can.”

The last time I checked, it is not a crime to be wealthy in this country, and being wealthy does not mean you should be sued. Just because you can afford the check does not mean you are entitled to sign it. USC covered all of Johnson’s medical expenses until he made his full (note, full) recovery. Add that on to the fact that USC gave him the opportunity to get a free education at a top private school, and gave him exposure which landed him his NFL position…that is more than enough.

Life is not always fair. But that does not give you the right to steal or bully others into making your life easier.

• John
      John says:

Look, Stafon, Jr, society, USC, does not owe this moron anything. When will this fool take responsibility for his stupidity? He is lucky he still has a “brain.”

The lesson from this lawsuit is that ‘SC has to learn to pick players, with a little brains, just a little, even an ounce would do. Look at the “Empty cavity in the head” Reggie Bunch and this idiot “No Cavity.” I think this moron has been playing football far too long without a helmet.

6. Greg
    Greg says:

He has to sue USC in order yo get the insurance company to pay his medical bills and other bills incurred as a result of the accident. He’s not after SC. The insurance company is messing with Stafon and his family. Busiiness as usual when you’re insured by a “botom line” oriented company. Happens all the time.

7. KRM
    KRM says:

Too bad, and it would not be happening if Stafon was looking at a successful NFL career. But, he is not. Might as well get a few bucks off USC, if he can, right? That is certainly today’s culture. USC has insurance for this type of thing, and while I am not sure that USC was negligent in any way, USC and their insurance will likely reach a quick settlement with Stafon. Not cool to sue your “family”, but it’s really no skin off USC’s back win or lose. Jason Street anybody?

8. Sam
    Sam says:

So, it was only USC’s fault now that he isn’t making bank in the NFL. What a spoiled, ungrateful child.

• dane
      dane says:

The average NFL player’s career is 3 years. It’s a high-impact sport that entails a lot of moderate to serious injuries. That’s why NFL rookies who actually play, get paid the kind of bank they do. And after a few years, they’re like dilapidated race horses with no more giddy up.

9. iman
    iman says:

Just want to show support for Stafon. I know a lot of people will hate on him for sue-ing the school, but just because we are SC fans or alums, doesn’t mean he is sue-ing us. If there was negligence on behalf of the school, he deserves damages. If not, he wont get them, its a wonderful system. It doesn’t mean he isn’t a trojan.

10. Roland
    Roland says:

Sounds like one of those “honest” personal injury attorneys has gotten to him.

Oh Stafon. Bad move. From Trojan to Nojan in a blink.

Bad news is, he probably wins in a settlement.

11. Anon
    Anon says:

The guy drops the weight on himself and the entire school and football team shows an incredible amount of support for him.

And he sues us… what a prick. I hope he sprains his other ankle and has a short lived NFL career.