Trojans look toward NCAA championship

The No. 5 USC men’s golf team advances to the NCAA final after winning the NCAA Ann Arbor Regional Saturday. The win was the Trojans’ second this season. It also marked the eighth top-4 finish during the 2011-2012 season.

The Trojans were led by the success of sophomore Jeffrey Kang who recorded his second consecutive score of 67. Senior Steve Lim and junior Sam Smith both logged 69, pushing USC into the NCAA championship.

On par · Sophomore Jeffrey Kang (above) helped lead the Trojans past Oregon to finish in first place at the NCAA Ann Arbor Regional. USC will compete next at the NCAA Finals, which begin May 29. - Photo courtesy of Sports Information

The Trojans distanced themselves from the field on the last day, finishing 4-under-par on the final day and finishing with a total score of 11-under-par 841.  Oregon finished in second place at 842 while Kent State, Virginia and TCU rounded out the top-five.

Kang led the Trojans throughout the tournament and earned another top-12 finish, finishing in 10th place with a final score of 4-under-par 209.

Lim (72-70-69) and freshman Anthony Paolucci (67-69-75) tied for 13th at 2-under-par 211. Lim had three birdies in the final round and an eagle at 11th hole. Paolucci’s finished in the top 17, his fifth top finish this season. Smith, meanwhile, had five birdies, including three during a 2-under-par on the back 9. Junior Martin Trainer hit three birdies in the final round and finished in 35th place.

“It feels great to play well in such a critical week,” USC coach Chris Zambri said in a statement. “Everyone contributed and now we need to find ways to improve and be sharp for [the Rivera Country Club].”

In his sixth seasons at USC, Zambri has led the Trojans into the NCAA finals four times.

USC is now eyeing the NCAA final next week. The championship, hosted by the Trojans, starts May 29 and continues until June 3 and will be held at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif. The Trojans are looking for their first national title in program history.